Smart Tabs + watersports with wake...

ringmaster72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking into getting the smart tabs, but through my research on this site it seems that they flatten the boats wake. I also have seen that you can get retractors, but that seems to defeat the purpose for which I would want them, since I would want them in order to plane out faster.

My main reason for boating is kneeboarding, tubing and wakeboarding. Therefore, I need the wake, so if I use the smart tabs to get on a plane faster I have essentially killed my wake??? Is this accurate? If it matters, my boat is a 1990 19ft Raven bowrider with a 375-400 horse 5.7 Chevy motor.

Thanks,
Tim

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Smart Tabs + watersports with wake...

Ayuh,.... Breaking over onto Plane lessens the wake,.. Yes...
Bigger Wakes are created by Plowing more water, Faster...

You might need helm controled tabs for what you're looking to do....
Or,...
Maybe John's Fisherman's Specials, Smart-tabs, with the special actuators....

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Smart Tabs + watersports with wake...

You first need to understand what causes the wake. It is simply the displacement of water, or hull draft. How deep does the boat sit in the water. At slow speeds prior to planing the bow is lifted by the water pressure before the stern because the bow is light. this also causes the stern to drop. This attitude in the water creates more "Draft" ( a deeper trough ) which creates a larger wake. Trim tabs will adjust the hull surface so that the stern gets more lift, and draft is reduced as the boat levels out. The wake then is reduced.

However, you could run the boat slower and still keep the boat more level with trim tabs. You would not be on plain but more level. Since you would not be on plane the boat (overall) would sit deeper (draft) in the water and the wake would be larger. My guess is that would be about 16 MPH.

You could also invest in a water bladder to add more weight cuasing more displacement (draft).