How much chain as part of anchor rode?

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interested to hear how long a chain others use between anchor and rope (if they use rope), and what size chain they use. I read somewhere a recommendation of 20' of chain at a minimum. That seems like an awful lot to me, but I'm no expert on the issue. My boat is a 24' deck boat.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: How much chain as part of anchor rode?

I use 5 ft.....works fine for my 21 footer..

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was taught half of boat length . . . I prefer 100% of boat length or more for bad weather and/or less than 5:1 scope. I think I have 1/4 inch chain on my 23 footer.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I have 5' of 1/4" chain for my 16' 7" boat.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Size of chain matters two. I have a 24' deck boat and use about 6' of chain and it works great.

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice

good question, I bought a Doral Monticello from a bank last year and it didn't have an anchor.

What do you recommend for a 26' (28' w/ swim platform)doral 8'6" beam, 6400lb weight dry.

Minnesota freshwater lake.

It has a power windlass system.

how much chain length, what size chain?

Does anyone know a good Doral Dealer that can get me an anchor?

My local dealer says Doral is hard to deal with, I couldn't even get a quote to order a dang anchor last year from that dealer!!! Doral told me I had to go through a dealer. I don't know if it's the dealer or Doral. I heard they were up for sale last year and know why!

I'll try the local again this year but if anyone knows a good Doral dealer please let me know.

thanks!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

There is no way that a dealer is required for an anchor purchase . . . Jeez . . . :rolleyes: You may need to match chain/rode size etc. to the windlass, but that has nothing to do with the boat itself, only the windlass. I think you should probably start your own thread though with a picture and info from your particular windlass. Good luck!

fishrdan

Admiral

Depends,,, on my ol' 16.5' SeaSwirl I would:

- dead calm and I'm moving around often, no chain
- breezy conditions, 10' of 5/16 chain
- snotty conditions, blowing like 'ell, 20' or 5/16 chain and a 6-1 or better scope

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't see the big deal.
Chain accomplishes two things . . .

1) It lies along the bottom so the pull is more horizontal than vertical which helps the anchor to get and stay set. This feature increases with weight and length of chain.

2) It dampens the action of waves and movement by limiting what gets transmitted to the shank itself. Unless the chain is tugged all of the way taught there is no real "tug" on the shank. A rope alone would tend to be tight all of the way to the shank so all movement is transmitted right there increasing the chance of the anchor "pulling" . . .

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

without a chain on the rode, you risk chewing up the rope on rock on the bottom as the boat drifts about on the anchor, the rope being tied to the anchor will be a weak point in its attachment also.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the responses. Another question on the same topic. What do you use to attach the chain to the anchor, and anchor to the rope?

fishrdan

Admiral

I use 3" stainless steel carabiners or threaded chain quick links to attach everything together.

I lost an anchor attached to a carabiner many years ago so I'm not convinced the carabiners are 100% fool proof,,, maybe 99.9% :rolleyes::D Kind of an odd situation since we were anchored all night long and constantly bucking waves,,, when it came time to pull the anchor I retreived the rope and carabiner, but the anchor was gone :confused: