12 Ft. Aluminium weight and motor capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick.

Captain
Hello All. I purchased a boat last fall and there is not any tags that tell me the weight and motor capacity for it. Is there a way to figure it out by measurements. If there is I will get a tape out but thought I would try here to see if it's possible. Thanks, Rick.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 12 Ft. Aluminium weight and motor capacity?

Pretty standard based on size length and beam ...... then match it to something more current.

Most 12' aluminum semi V hulls are good for 12 hp and the jon boats are usually rated slightly lower.

2 adults + 1 child

CATransplant

Admiral

10 hp and 5-600 lb. is about average for 10' v-hull boats. A few can handle more power and weight, but most are at those limits.

If yours is a v-hull with a 15-16" transom, it probably fits into that range. I'm betting it also has a beam (widest point) of 54" or less. Again, that's typical.

I guarantee you that a 9.9 or 10 hp outboard will shove your little tinny along at a ripping good pace.

Rick.

Captain

The boat measures about 11 foot 2 inches and the beam is in the 46 maybe 48 inch range. I know closer to the stern it is 44 inches. I am ignorant about the beam. Is it the widest measure between the gunnels? I'm afraid the 9.9 might be too much engine for it. Our ice is still a couple of feet thick up here but melting fast so I could be testing things out in a couple of weeks. Thanks again, Rick.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, we still don't know if this is a flat-bottom jon boat or a v-hull. If it's a flat-bottom, the max is probably 7.5 hp. 10 hp for that if it's a v-hull.

Rick.

Captain

Sorry about that, it is a V hull. Rick.

CATransplant

Admiral

10 hp, then. It's a little narrower than mine, though...about 6". A 7.5 would probably work pretty well, I'd think. Nothing over 10 hp, though.

Rick.

Captain

Are you still thinking 5-600 lbs.? Rick.

CATransplant

Admiral

Hmm...maybe not. Put the high end at 500, I think. It sounds like how the 50s and 60s Alumacrafts were...about 4' wide at the widest point.

Does yours have rounded edges on the bottom or fairly sharp ones. The rounded bottom makes for easier rowing, but less stability. You'll be OK with the 9.9, as long as you run the boat safely. It'll push you along over 20 mph, though, and that's pretty fast in a 12' tinny.

I never could stand up comfortably in my old Alumacraft.

Rick.

Captain

The edges are round, not a sharp bend at all. I would not stand up in it unless it is absolutely necessary. My granddaughter asked me what I call my boat and with a lesson in mind, I told her it's name is 'Tippy". Thanks for your help CATransplant. I think this is the first time I've ventured off the J/E repair forum. Rick.

towdog

Cadet

I have a 12 ft aluminum with an 8 HP on it. It's usually just me in the boat, so I am having weight distribution problems with the motor, myself, two batteries, and a gas tank all in the back. I'm in the process of lengthening the lines for my trolling motor so I can move the battery up into the front. And lengthening the gas line so I can move the tank up as well. If this isn't enough, I think I'll have to add a cement block or two up there as well.

Right now I never get up on plane with all of the weight in the back. I'm not able to see how fast my setup really is because my bow is in the air.

Growing up, my family (4 of us) fished out of a 12 ft and it worked, though was cramped. We did sit pretty low in the water low. ;)

Rick.

Captain

It is amazing how a little weight at the front can help. I fish from a buddies 12ft. when I'm at his cabin. I gave him a 15 HP Evinrude for it and that thing flies. Actually so fast that it really feels out of control at WOT. Anyway I found that putting two or three large rocks at the very front kept the bow down a great deal. Moving your batteries and tank forward will make a big difference. Rick.

sasmit8

Cadet

I have an old (1963) 12ft sears aluminium boat. There is no plate of Maximum Wt or HP- But on the paperwork when my dad bought it in 1963,says Maximum HP 7 1/2. I have a 1988 Suzuki 6 HP on it. With one person in it will
get up on plane.
For WT I would try to limit it to 2 people and gear-maybe 400lb's

Hope This Helps

mattsanders

Seaman

My sears 12 fotter is stamped 750lbs. And the hp is 10. I have had my wife and 2 kids with me on the lake and its fine. Im only pushing with a 5 horse. Im not about fast. That trip with 4 of us was here maiden voyage. We cruised all over the lake for 3 hours. And now that I found a small hole in the floor maybe it will keep my socks dry.

redcheese

Cadet

Have a 1960 Sears 12ft aluminum with 48" beam, stamped for 450lbs max motor+people+gear. Max HP is 10.

I'm using a 2006 Suzuki DF6 and can go 15mph with myself, the motor & 100lbs of gear.

9.9 would be better, but too heavy for me to lift on a regular basis. I'm carrying everything in the back of my truck & mounting the motor each time I head to the water.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I sold two 12' aluminum's this year. One was rated for a 10hp and one was rated for a 7.5hp.

jsnrgstr

Cadet
I also have a 12ft Vhull 1976 Alumacraft and am wondering how much weight it can handle. I alone am 6FT 5in and 300pds. I got this boat to go where my much larger and stable 16ft boat has difficulties getting in and out of. But am worried about overloading it. I was looking at putting a Minn Kota 55lb thrust on it instead of a gas outboard And would be running with 2 batteries. We call these boats Columbia river swimmers because if you take it into the main channel you will probably flip and most that I have seen out there in them do flip. I also enjoy watching a sturgeon pull these boats around the columbia. I got this boat mainly for the sloughs and lake channels in my area where the width of my 16 footer makes it almost impossible to turn around or sometimes even go in.

jsnrgstr

Cadet
I also have a 12ft Vhull 1976 Alumacraft and am wondering how much weight it can handle. I alone am 6FT 5in and 300pds. I got this boat to go where my much larger and stable 16ft boat has difficulties getting in and out of. But am worried about overloading it. I was looking at putting a Minn Kota 55lb thrust on it instead of a gas outboard And would be running with 2 batteries. We call these boats Columbia river swimmers because if you take it into the main channel you will probably flip and most that I have seen out there in them do flip. I also enjoy watching a sturgeon pull these boats around the columbia. I got this boat mainly for the sloughs and lake channels in my area where the width of my 16 footer makes it almost impossible to turn around or sometimes even go in.

jsnrgstr

Cadet

64osby

Admiral
Rick - I had a 12' Sea King, it was rated for a 10hp and 565lbs. With 2 preteens and me it felt really overloaded. I traded up to a 14'er rated for 760lbs and 15hp. I don't care much for that tippy feeling.

jsnrgtr - you should start your own thread so you will get responses related to your boat and not the original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.