12 Ft. Aluminium weight and motor capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyocoyote

Recruit
"My sears 12 footer is stamped 750 lbs. And the HP is 10" someone replied earlier and gives us a rough idea. Another stated 7.5 on his 12 foot aluminum. I too am for right or for wrong looking at a 12 foot vintage sears v hull aluminum boat. From my experiences with other small boats 4 stroke or 2 stroke could make a big difference as well as how outboard HP is now rated. While the HP may be a match the weight of the 4 stroke may be an issue. Also keep in mind (and correct me if I am wrong) modern HP ratings are different than in the past, and I believe you have roughly 10 -15 percent more HP with the newer ratings. Also If you have a steering console forward rather than a tiller, often a boat rated for 10 with a tiller may be rated for 15 with a console. Makes sense that with the boaters own wait being forward from the get go a bit more HP will still be safe. Seems to me if you are going with a clean efficient modern tiller motor an 8hp 4 stroke or HDPI would be the ticket, If you have a steering wheel 9.9 or 15 if that doesn't put too much weight on the transom/ put your bow way up in the air. I have a very different small boat.....a 10 foot ultra stable Livingston in yacht harbor slip as a dory. rated for a tiller 10 or console 15. the prob for me with a 4 stroke 9.9 or 15 is that the stern is too low while moored at the slip and will take on water with swell, though it planes out well with such power (tried both). Look up the folks who put a high HP Jetski jet motors in small aluminum boats if you want some entertainment, or the Ausssies who race matched aluminum fishing boats with souped up outboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.