Yadda, Yadda, Should I buy Seaswirl? UPDATE?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yadda, Yadda, Should I buy Seaswirl? UPDATE?

I have a terminology question.

In the manual, it says to push in the key to PRIME. It doesn't mention anything in the entire manual about CHOKE.

It also says,"If the boat is equipped with an OMC electric primer pump, activate the pump for 20 seconds." I don't think it has this. So, what's the deal on 'priming' vs 'choking'.

The owner said the marina guy looked at him like he was simple, because the marina guy had no problems starting it.

I suspect that in the past, the owner just turned the key, or primed it a bit, and the motor always started fine. But now that it sat for a couple of years, there may be an official trick to it, that the marina guy assumed all OB owners know.

Any suggestions on what I should ask the marina guy to do? Decarb? Clean carbs? Give me a starting lesson?

I DON'T want a motor that's iffy to start, once I'm out in the bay. You can't row this boat.

It's a carbed 1997 Johnson 150 OB, that checks out for compression, spark, and all the usuals, marine mechanic says it runs great, and everybody says is a sweet motor.

More details - it had 20 gals of 1-2 year old stabil-gas in it. Marina guy had no probs running with it as is, but replaced fuel filter and fuel/gas separator filter, and added some Octane booster (just to do something, I think). Before launching, I added 1/2 small bottle of octane boost, a 20 gal dose of new E-10 Stabil, and 20 gals of higher 89 octane gas. (To compensate for the 20 gals of older gas.) I was thinking that after I got it and it was running, I later would add some Seafoam to the gas and run the hell outta it, to clean out any remaining old gas issues.

Argh, argh, etc...

Jim

jdlough

MikDee,

I reread your post (and tried thinking about it this time), and I think maybe exactly what you said may be the trick.

Before the owner tried to start it this time, I asked him if he choked it enough last time, maybe setting the stage for failure. (The owner and you guys should understand that I don't know what I'm talking about, unless I read it here) He tried to start it with the prime/choke method. It kicked a bit. He tried to start it again, about 30 times. I think mostly priming/choking it. (He doesn't seem to have experience with this motor NOT starting right up) I don't know exactly what prime/choke/pushing-in-the-key does. DID THIS FLOOD IT?

The manual says if the motor is flooded, then disengage the clutch and forward the throttle, then try to start several times. Doesn't mention how you would know if it's flooded.

(Please excuse my ignorance. My experience for my 8HP is to pull the cord til my arm gets tired, then it starts right up! Every time!!!)

Jim

mickarch

Seaman

The easiest way I've found to tell if a motor is flooded is to pull the plugs. If they're wet, it's probably flooded.

When my motor floods I pull the plugs, dry them off, put them back in and it usually fires right up. I've had to do this in the middle of the lake before, almost fell in!

MikDee

Banned

As I said, from experience with 2cycle engines, plus outboards, jet ski's, etc.
Once it starts to kick, no more choke, or prime, or it will flood easily. Plus, most outboards have a neutral fast idle starting position stop (governer), on the throttle control when in neutral, you must put the throttle in this position when cold.

When I was a young teenager, starting Dads 40hp Evinrude bigtwin while cold, was a 30pull workout :eek: I wish I had known this trick way back then :rolleyes:

If worse, comes to worse, you hafta take out the spark plugs, clean them with carb cleaner, & a rag, then put them back in, & start over :(

jdlough

MikDee,

You may be my new best friend. (I like the chips with the ridges, regular sourcream/onion dip is fine, whatever beer) You got HD? Also, I smoke. The more smoke, the better. I have a 9' Brunswick Gold Crown pool table, and I'm getting a big screen, if I get this boat running for cheap enough.

So, yep, you're my new BF. (Marine guy confirms it again - no probs starting - maybe I can get a decarb, carb clean, basic tune up outta this deal)

So, MikDee, as my new BF, what do I call you, "MikD"? How do you pronounce that? "Mickt"?

Thanks again for the tips, Mickt. I think/hope you got it.

That was exactly the quick, concise, bit of info I was looking for.

Or, if anybody has anything to add to my bud Mickt's advice, chime in now!

Jim

MikDee

Banned

MikDee,

You may be my new best friend. (I like the chips with the ridges, regular sourcream/onion dip is fine, whatever beer) You got HD? Also, I smoke. The more smoke, the better. I have a 9' Brunswick Gold Crown pool table, and I'm getting a big screen, if I get this boat running for cheap enough.

So, yep, you're my new BF. (Marine guy confirms it again - no probs starting - maybe I can get a decarb, carb clean, basic tune up outta this deal)

So, MikDee, as my new BF, what do I call you, "MikD"? How do you pronounce that? "Mickt"?

Thanks again for the tips, Mickt. I think/hope you got it.

That was exactly the quick, concise, bit of info I was looking for.

Or, if anybody has anything to add to my bud Mickt's advice, chime in now!

Jim

Hey Jim, What can I say? Just glad to help,,, By the way, Mike, or Mike D. will do ;) The older I get the more I know, by the time I die, I think I'll know it all,,,lol,,, And being old, out of shape, and a smoker as well, I guess it won't be long now :eek::D Yeah, I recently got me a Wide Screen HD TV also, (a gift to myself for my last birthday). Anyway, I applaud you on getting such a nice boat! Maybe sometime if I'm going thru Maryland, I'll bring the chips, you supply the beer, and we can go for a ride on the Seaswirl, and shoot a few games of 8 ball. :cool:

jdlough

Ok, this is getting long for a "should I buy this post", but...

The marina mechanic re-reaffirmed that this motor was great, and should start every time. He re-explained to the owner how to use the choke/primer. The owner got it to start a few times, then went outta town for a day. When he came back, he couldn't start it AGAIN. So, the boat went back to the marina.

The marina guy couldn't start it either. He did some electrical tests, and discovered an "intermittent starter switch". Apparently sometimes it worked for some of the circuits, but as a maybe separate issue, the owner flooded it via overchoking/priming when it DID work, but that sometimes it didn't work, sending no fuel. (The owner mentioned that he didn't bother using the cut-off lanyard for the past 2 years, since it ran fine without the cut-off lanyard. Should have been a clue.)

So, it looks like two problems based on that switch. Over choking/priming, and goofy switch not sending it's impulses to the required fuel bits. (Although it DID ALWAYS crank the motor)

I am optimistically seeing all this as good news. 1) I don't have to rely on an "excellent" motor with some "tricky starting instructions" 2) At least two separate mechs think the motor's great 3) It wouldn't start for potential rival buyers, so I get a nice price 4) I get a WAY checked-out and tuned-up Johnson 150HP motor and thoroughly checked ignition system with a new switch and keys 5) The seller is a straight-up guy, so I may have a new fishing-buddy with local knowledge.

The only current ointment flaw is that due to work schedule conflicts, and possible need to "fine tune" my new boat lift bunks to the new boat, I may not get the boat for maybe 2 weeks.

But, I finally feel that soon I will have a fine, fish-catching, teenage boy tube-dragging, sunburn-enducing, iBoat-Forum-envying boat with many pics to come.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good luck in getting it all worked out. I'm sure the current owner is even more annoyed than you are at the whole situation at this point.

MikDee

Banned

Hang in there jd, It will all be worth it very soon! ;)

jdlough

Hey Mike,

I clicked the links in your sig. Dang, but you have a lot of boats and vehicles! Why so many boats? Do you sink a lot? And your auto collection looks like it should be in Jay Leno's garage.

Is that you dressed like a Hell's Angel Dude on that bike?

Seeing your pics, I have even more confidence in your advice/experience.

Thanx again,
Jim

jdlough

Just to drag this post on even longer...(and I WAY appreciate any opinions)

I just bought a 2004 F150 FX4 boat towing truck.

REALLY sweet: It's friggin ridiculous for a truck, 70k miles, anal-geek-owner, SuperCab, 4WD, OffRoad Pkg, Leather everything, CD changer, heated seats, pwr sunroof, pwr back windows, bed liner and cover, factory towing pkg w/trans cooler/upgraded radiator, all the good sh*t... Similar deals from dealers go for $20k here. I got it for $13.6K.

I was set to hand over cash, but the seller said a check was ok. Just to make my life miserable, his bank took my check, THEN told him it would take 5 days to clear for the title release. I tried to give them $13.6k cash, but they said "Too late, check's gone."

So now my wife is confirmed that I'm an idiot. I bought a broken boat and some paper that says me and a bank own a truck that she hasn't seen yet. $20,000 down, nothing here but a piece of paper (with a lien on it) yet.

Of course I am convinced that I made 2 GREAT DEALS!!! (You guys can back me up on this, right????)

Meanwhile, of course I just found the perfect boat for the teenage boys. 1996 Glastron, maybe 16' or 17' with an 80HP Merc. for $3k.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1160692716.html

I put in a call to the Glastron's voice mail, but I don't dare buy it yet, 'till the other deals come thru, and my genius is revealed.

Jim

This_lil_fishy

Hehe, a ford and a glastron, it's blissful, honest! :D

Ian

MikDee

Banned

Hey Mike,

I clicked the links in your sig. Dang, but you have a lot of boats and vehicles! Why so many boats? Do you sink a lot? And your auto collection looks like it should be in Jay Leno's garage.

Is that you dressed like a Hell's Angel Dude on that bike?

Seeing your pics, I have even more confidence in your advice/experience.

Thanx again,
Jim

Jim, All the info on the cars, & boats is there in the captions. The key word here is I "HAD" all those boats, & cars, I kept trading up along the way, between the job, marriage, house, & 3 kids, until,,, the divorce! :rolleyes: The 24' SeaRay cuddy was the Best! especially for the Great South Bay L.I., for an old boat, it was trouble free for a few years, but then it got water in the cylinder, either a head gasket, or a cracked block, and rather then put a big block in that I couldn't afford I sold it as is, to get something faster.

Yeah, that's me on the bike, an 86' Honda Shadow VT1100, had it for 9yrs, then got tired of it, and sold it last year, just before the gas prices went up of course :rolleyes: Wish I had it back, because I can't afford to get another bike now :(

Each of my cousins have a 22' Seaswirl Striper cuddy outboard, a great boat for the money, but one of them had to sell his because of health issues, he was really sad about it, but got the price he wanted.

jdlough

Yep Fishy,

I may not know enough about boats, but for a truck, it's gotta be the Ford. (Unless they knock of $5k for it being a Toyota or Chevy or some such...)

I never heard of SeaSwirl before checking this site. This site gives it good reps, and the boat I'm buying confirms it.

This site also gives Glastron high reps. But the one Glastron I tried to buy looked beautiful but turned to be stored under a tree, in a yard, for years. It rotted just like any old Bayliner.

If life treats me fair, the SeaSwirl and F-150 Truck deals will work out OK, and this new Craigslist Glastron little bowrider will still be there for me.

I was about to pull the trigger on a couple of 70's tri-hulls for the teenage boys, until I saw that Craigslist ad for a 96' Glastron for $3k.

I think for the $8k+ boats you can't go TOO wrong. But for the $3k price range, there's a lot of crap, and a few gems. I hope this Glastron is a gem that's still there.

And MODS? I know this thread is beginning to stray a bit, but hopefully it will end soon, with successful sales, and I will post any follow-up posts in a new post.
Thanx,
Jim

jdlough

Mike,

Maybe many folks here will NOT understand this, but, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DIVORCE!!! UFB how your life can turn around. WooHoo! Time for the BigScreen!!

But, you got kids? If so, you gotta have a 'draw', as Tony Soprano would say (did you see that episode). What I mean is a boat will give the kids a reason to visit and want to hang around with dear old dad. That's my goal in my second phase of life, (pool table, HD, pool, boats), to live life fun, and to be a 'draw' for the younguns to think where I live is a fun place. Seems to work - works for me too!

BTW, your concise writing style... are you by any chance a tech writer?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Jim, I looked at that Glasstron too earlier. I think if you look closely at the pics, the interior is trashed. I hope I'm wrong though. Also, I don't THINK Evinrude made an 80 HP in recent history so they may have mistyped that.

jdlough

So, here's how it stands:

He got the new switch and is going to install it Friday morning. If the boat doesn't start reliably, I get my money back and the deal's off.

Either way is fine with me at this point. I don't want a boat I can't trust to start.

Just to prove life is weird, the local internet paper has ANOTHER Seaswirl, basically the same boat but bigger (1997 Seaswirl Striper 2100 Dual Console, w/1998 175HP Johnson O/B, exc. cond., many new parts, $6200) With trailer.
Not as many goodies (DF but no Fishfinder/GPS, no trolling motor, no Stereo, no swim ladder) Bottom painted, so sometimes kept in bay saltwater. BUT, 20+ gal livewell, seemingly well maintained motor, new dual batteries with switch, vinyl maybe in better shape, (and apparently a self-bailing deck, since it has deck scuppers - I need to check this), also local guy. I don't mind a bit that it's bigger.

So, I think, whichever one starts is the one I'm buying!

Jim

Attachments

• DCFC0156 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    DCFC0156 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DCFC0158 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    DCFC0158 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DCFC0159 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    DCFC0159 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DCFC0160 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    DCFC0160 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • DCFC0161 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    DCFC0161 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

Quite a nice design, & condition, as well for the money Jim! ;)

jdlough

Yep,

I know I'd be very happy with the 1st 1850 Seaswirl, but if it falls thru, I better nab the 2nd (2100 Seaswirl) quick. I already talked to the 2100 guy (told him I may or may not have already bought a Seaswirl, and gave him a link to this post) He seemed like a decent guy, and had ready answers to all my maintenance questions. Lights, gauges, livewell pump, everything works. He's the first owner, but the only downside is that his boat has lived in brackish baywater, and is bottom painted.

After all, I can always add the extras, but I don't have access to a boat-stretcher, so I can't make that 1850 as big as the 2100.

Whatever, I'm going to be a boat owner by the end of this weekend. It may be a paddle boat, but I'm gonna be boating SOMETHING this Memorial Day, Dammit!!!

Jim

jdlough

Re: Yadda, Yadda, Should I buy Seaswirl? It's HERE!

Re: Yadda, Yadda, Should I buy Seaswirl? It's HERE!

It's here!!!! 1997 Seaswirl 2100 DC. Johnson Ocean Runner 175HP.

Yeah!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG