Houseboat Party Tops

South Park

Recruit
Looking to replace 18' party top on houseboat with a hardtop - old canvas is gone. Does anyone suggest a material and source for the hardtop? Does anyone have any experience using King Starboard marine polymer for the hardtop? Thanks!

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Houseboat Party Tops

My buddy just redid his big pontoon with Eliteboard, they use it as insulated roofing for aluminum screen porches which are common here., Pricey though, I would guess he spent $2500 or so in material.

salty87

Commander

starboard is heavy and expensive. wouldn't be a good choice if you're looking to walk on it at all.

South Park

Recruit

No foot traffic on this hardtop party top; just a shade cover instead of canvas (previously used). Will likely use it also to hold solar panels for charging inverter system.

How about the Starboard XL material which is 30% lighter than regular Starboard (not the Starlite XL material)?

houseboater

Recruit

Have you checked with Fiberglass Concepts? Expensive, but last forever. They have a website. This it the top that the mojority of the Kentucky houseboat manuf. put on their new boats.

South Park

Recruit

I ended up sourcing Starboard XL (which is approx 33% lighter than standard Starboard) and installing on party top. It looks fantastic, was very easy to work with using standard tools (used find tooth circular saw and jig saw) and will last a very long time based on its properties.:)