Oars for 12' Alumacraft

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Oars for 12' Alumacraft

Six footers should work. That's what I use on my 12' Starcraft with a 54" beam.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

I am not trying to confuse the issue but, are you going to use the oars as the primary propulsion?

I would suggest that you look at this site http://www.shawandtenney.com/wooden-rowing-oars.htm
to obtain the formula for the proper length.

CATransplant

Admiral

Good point, Bob. His 12' Alumicraft would call for 8' oars or even 8' 6", according to that chart. However, unless he's going to be rowing a lot, those are going to be a bit unwieldy to stow in that tinny.

For use as emergency propulsion, I find the 6' oars work just fine on my 12' aluminum boat. They're not as efficient, of course, but I often row troll with them, and can pull for the dock when my engine quits OK, if needed. I rowed it almost 2 miles one time back to the dock.

Still, as you say, if he's going to use oars as the main propulsion, then it's another story. I hope his alumicraft is one of those with a rounded bottom. They're better rowboats than the flatter tinnies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

In my experiance (and I really enjoy rowing) if the oars are too short you end up making a circular motion with your arms. The verticle distance from the water to the oarlock makes it a pleasure or makes it a pain.

Laughing but I have used a broken oar as a paddle too......

discoii

Cadet

Thanks for the replys, the oars would be used for when motor quits (hopefully Never) or rowing around docks trees ect. I fish with my bother in this little boat so space is always an issue.

Can you recommend source for oars and locks.

Thanks again

CATransplant

Admiral

I think the 6' oars will serve your purpose. Generally, you can find a way to store them using the seat braces, out of the way. Longer than 6', the curve of the boat will cause a problem.

As has been said, they're not long enough to be the ideal oar, but you'll be surprised what you can do with them.

Thanks for the replys, the oars would be used for when motor quits (hopefully Never) or rowing around docks trees ect. I fish with my bother in this little boat so space is always an issue.

Can you recommend source for oars and locks.

Thanks again

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may laugh at me but my oars are maybe 1-2ft. each! (14'6" aluminum v-hull) Basically just the paddle with a small handle. They are for backup and I've only had to use them once.

You mentioned that you are usualy out with your brother? I'm always out with somebody so even those little things work with one of us on each side of the boat. And they stow away real nice right into the livewell!

It's not ideal, and your back will be hurting. But where I take my boat out, I'm usually with somebody, there is no current, and I'm typically not terribly far from the dock.

So it just depends on your circumstances. Are you usualy out alone? will there be a current? do you go far from the dock? do you have a good back? lol

because of my circumstances, I prefer convenient out-of-the-way stowage. If and when I need them again, I'll deal with it.