• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are boat motors so expensive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are boat motors so expensive?

both used and new. is there some secret i dont know about?
    CrankyBaits Custom Painted Lures

1981 Sylvan Sportster 16' 1985 Evinrude 70 hp

Re: why are boat motors so expensive?

good question....I have no idea other than alot of R&D goes into them.
    Love the life you live, live the life you love-Bob Marley

sigpic

Comment

but couldnt that be said for all motors? i just picked up a used motor for my bike last summer for 600 shipped. it only had 8,000 miles on it.

ive bought motors for cars (tranny included) for 800...

yet a 30 year old boat motor goes for over 1500....lol.

Comment

To put it bluntly, because they can!!! I watched a show called how its made on discovery channel and it doesn't look that labor intensive.
        The reason I do what I do is in the avatar above.

Comment

It is amazing how expensive these boat motors are, especially the parts. Mine as an aq125a in it. Spark plugs are 30$ wires are over 100$. A new carb if needed is about $900. 180$ for a rebuilt. The raw water impeler is about 30 bucks. But i will admit it is a great engine, been told its a very good quality setup, with very little hours around 500 or so, give or take if i leave the key on. The boat is 24 years old. Still looks good.
          "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will spend all day in his boat fishing and drinking beer."

1985 Bayliner Capri (the floor is still solid) Volvo Penta AQ125a Aq270 Drive

Comment

Ayuh,.. We're Capitalists,... Anything is worth the amount the market will bear.....
            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by mphy98 View Post
              To put it bluntly, because they can!!! I watched a show called how its made on discovery channel and it doesn't look that labor intensive.
              If it is the same show I seen I think it was the Evinrude E-TEC man they are not careful installing the pistons in it looked like he scratch the Cly walls before it even started and yet they charge this much $ for it
              Get wet. Get dirty. Get bounced around a little. Go slow. Go fast. Go fishing.

Comment

From rtpassini:

i just picked up a used motor for my bike last summer for 600 shipped.
                Why didn't you just go to the dealer and buy a new one? Maybe cause it would have been real expensive?? Why not have your old one rebuilt? Again, very expensive. Or just buy a rebuilt one?? Probably might as well buy a new one!

Think about it. How many wrecked bikes do you think there are where the cost of repairing the plastic and bodywork and instruments, not to mention a bent frame or forks, exceeds the value of the bike? A WHOLE LOT of them out there like that. That's why you can get a used engine cheap. Same situation with used car engines.

How many wrecked boats have you seen where the engine is still usable??? Hmmm, they usually SINK!!!

The price for a rebuilt engine (basic longblock or powerhead - outboard, inboard, motorcycle, boat or car) is about the same. A basic motor will cost you a couple of thousand dollars. If you're into the hot-rod stuff then the sky's the limit.
                Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

Your average car or truck motor doesn't spend its day @ 5,000RPM , going uphill the whole trip .

Your car manufacturer offers 2 , maybe 3 engine options , that are common to many other vehicles in the same fleet .

Marine engine manufacturers build complete engine/transmission packages , for use on a wide range of boat sizes , hull designs , and , transom heights .
                  They also sell far fewer of each particular model than any major car manufacturer , so this also puts them at a disadvantage when you factor in the scale of economy .

They are pricy , but , you get what you pay for .
                  Usually you can save quite a bit buying used .
                  Most folks don't use them more than 50 hours a season .

Properly maintained most will live longer than you will .
                  Ignore the maintenance , or , abuse them , and they will die a horrible death , and cost a fortune to resurrect .

Comment

ok. onto the "new" topic

a brand new 2008 Yamaha 115 hp 25" shaft is $8,889.

You can get a brand new 1000cc Sportbike for that price. NOT just a motor.

thats why i said new and used. both prices are sky high.
                    Although, you didnt pose a good argument which makes since.

p.s. my bike motor spends its days anywhere from 5-10k constantly. lol

Comment

it is a specialty item, that people want and are willing to pay the price.
                      FLORIDA GATORS
                      TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                      That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

yeah but the word "marine" itself adds 30% cost to everything, call it a "marine" motorcycle and see what it costs.
                        Love the life you live, live the life you love-Bob Marley

sigpic

Comment

Those folks building the Evinrudes are right here where I live, 1 million sq. ft. building.
                          use to have like 700 folks and 2 powerhead lines, now down to like 300 folks and 1 line thats been shut down 75% of this year.
                          OMC/BRP and Mercury are really hurting, Mercury Marine in Fond Du Lac WI does a ton of aluminum casting for Harley Davidson in Milwaukee, both those companies are also hurting bigtime.

Buy some new outboards and stern drives folks, stimulate that economy.
                          1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
                          http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

Comment

i love going pass the mercury factories in Fond Du Lac and seeing their crazy boats outside. WITH THE GATES OPEN! i wanted to steal one of their cigarette boats....hahaha

Comment

Not sure, but I think a lot of it has to do with "economies of scale."

They make and sell enough car engines to cover the costs of development and manufacturing over the life of the model at the price they charge. They don't sell nearly as many marine motors, so the price is higher for each one.
                              2008 Lund 1750 Fisherman
                              2008 Merc 115hp 4-stroke EFI
                              2008 Shorelandr' Trailer
                              And two wonderful golden retrievers

Comment

Working...
                              X