How to safely move 'dry' dock back into water

gil_happy

Cadet
Hello

I recently purchased a lake house with double slip boat dock that is currently 'dry docked', i.e. sitting on land (see attached picture).

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to move the dock approximately 20' - 30' feet back into the water without damaging the dock? I have tried googling this, but I can't seem to find information on how to do this properly

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• CIMG1692-1.JPG
    CIMG1692-1.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to safely move 'dry' dock back into water

Ayuh,...

Jack it up, place some planking down as skids,+ Drag it to the water....

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buy some beer and invite over a bunch of your strongest friends/neighbours.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

gil,
Looks very familiar, are you on lake lanier??? You will have real trouble trying to jack the dock up. Your floats will be water logged (even if on land for years), they are heavy and will fall apart as you lift (even if encapsulated). Friendly advice, call a dock moving company, pay a couple of hundred bucks to have them do the moving. If you are on lanier several companies offer this serivce and they are all hurting for business at the moment. Call one that's nearest you.

gil_happy

Cadet

lkbum, thanks for the response. As a matter of fact, I am on Lake Lanier! I'm impressed you could tell it was Lanier.

Actually, I did call one place today and they said it would $300 - $500 (of course this is without coming to look at the dock). It sounded like they would jack it up and drag it out over PVC. I guess I was trying to save a little money and was wondering what they would do differently than I could do?

Cheers

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pray for rain!!!!

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Why was the dock pulled in the first place? Lake Lanier is in GA. right? Does it freeze over in the winter. If so, pulling it out at the end of the season and putting it back in at the beginning of the season would be an annual event. I live in a northern area and that's what happens on my lake. I'm lucky to live on a channel with little water movement so we've always left our pier in. It's worked out fine for the last 4 generations so no need to change now. Anyway, if this indeed an annual event, pay to have the Pro's do it. Watch how they do it and if it looks like something you can do, go for it in the future.

salty87

Commander

lake lanier is in a drought. the dock is probably at whatever water level the lake was at when the previous owner left.

couple hundred bucks doesn't sound bad. doesn't look like a fun job unless you know the tricks.

gil_happy

Cadet

Yep, it is in Georgia, but definitely does not freeze over. The problem here in GA is that we have been in massive drought and the lake has dropped several feet. The previous owner did not use the dock and therefore never 'chased' or moved the dock to deeper water when the level decreased. Once I get it moved into deeper water, I will make sure that I monitor the level.

mphy98

Lieutenant

sounds like a job for manly men and alcohol to me! :D

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe make friends with the neighbors? Some of them should have equipment to help you out.

You can jack them up on logs then roll it to the water?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Personally I'd pay to have it done.

It looks like you have encapsulated flotation. The attachments aren't made for a lot of lateral movement.

My guess you would need 4 to 6 pump jack poles, a bunch of 6x6s with greased bunknaps. Lift up the dock, slide the 6x6's underneath and pointed towards the water. Figure out how to push the dock on the 6x6's and into the water. You'd pick up the 6x6's from behind the dock to in front as it moves.