Outrigger pontoons for an aluminum fishing boat

alumanaut

Seaman Apprentice
I like small, light, slender aluminum fishing boats with tiller steering outboards for small lake fishing.

But I also like to crab in the local estuary and I would like to stand up in the boat to pull up the traps with out so much rocking.

Does anyone sell outrigger pontoons the could be fitted to a 14-16' aluminum fishing boat?

Ideally the pontoons would fold up out of the water for running on plane and just be deployed when putting around from basket to basket.

mthieme

Captain
Re: Outrigger pontoons for an aluminum fishing boat

Are the sides that high where you can't sit and pull up the traps?

Note the crabbing machine in my avatar.:)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is probably one of those things you will have to make yourself, The first thing I thought of was 6''-8'' pvc pipe rigged to the hull some how.

Getting really small toons is gonna run you quite alot but no, I have never seen outriggers for a jon boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

or a block of styrofoam glassed in, on hinge arm. even a plastic gas can. on an arm

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The most expensive option...get another boat for crabbing. Keep your current boat for fishing. You can pick up an old whaler like mine for less than a grand and stand up on the gunwales all day, if you'd like.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think i saw what you need last year at the Minneapoilis sportsman show. there was a guy there selling outriggers for canoes. these weren't the standard canoe outriggers. i remember he had a video of a canoe with a 9.9 on it going on plane across the lake. he had another one of a canoe pulling a water skier and something about a guy standing on one of the pontoons. i could remember thinking "who is he trying to market this to". you may be the person. other than googleing canoe pontoons i have no idea how to find him again. the sportsman show comes up in about a month and if he is there i could pm you his info if you are interested. or maybe you could google the 2008 MPLs sportsman show vendor list and find him.

alumanaut

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Marquette, I believe I found him.

CGH

Cadet

Thanks, Marquette, I believe I found him.

How about a follow up.

I have a 1432 and I looking at 6 or 8 inch PVC 10 foot long on either side of my boat. to try and get rid of that tipsy feeling. Not going to get rid of th e1432. I have a 1436, 1448, a 16 foot skeeter to boot