long distance overland hauling

I'm lookin for any advice on trying to have a 18ft aluminum on trailor (about 1100 lbs total) shipped about 1500 miles. I'd be purchasing the boat from distance and have questions about how the money transaction goes and about how much it would cost. Any reputable companies that do east coast south to north shipping?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: long distance overland hauling

Welcome to iboats!

Aside from hiring someone to tow it that distance you might contact a major car dealer near you. They use shipping companies for auction cars and I know those companies will also haul boats on trailers (Yes they load your boat and trailer onto their trailer).

No doubt it is going to be big money....... it may pay to drive and get it yourself.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First, I doubt that an 18 footer weighs only 1100#, even without engine and trailer.

I bought an 18' Boston Whaler Outrage that was in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (about 1500 miles).

I drove down there, examined the boat, paid for it, got all the paperwork done and towed it home. Cost me about $500, including two nights in motels. I doubt that I could have done all that for less any other way.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Maybe a long shot but put up an ad on Craigs list, maybe you will comeinto a trucker who is going that way and coming back empty that would cut you a deal.

Aside from that just google "car transport" and start calling people, but I am with JB, the cheapest would be making the run yourself, take friday off and turn it into a 3 day week end and set up something to do on the other end to break up the drive.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this is what i do. http://www.uship.com/Boats/ they boat and trailer have to be ready. it may towed, or loaded on a flat bed, all of this depends on who you contract with. there are many Mom & Pops that like to travel, and tow trailers to help pay for there trip. just make sure you are insured and they are also, ask for proof of insurance, references. payment is what the 2 of you work out.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

had a car shipped up from fla 1 year ago for about 500, heavier, but shorter. i guess it would be about the same. where on the merrimack are you?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

My daughter found a site online sort of like a reverse auction. People put in bids on how LOW they will go to ship your item. She ended up having someone come to my home here in FL, load her stuff onto a truck and ship it to her door in western MD for $125.

Can't remember if it was on eBay or not. I'll check with her.

-BWR

mthieme

Captain

Another avenue for you to check out is that there are people that haul (farm) tractors all around and particularly up and down the eastern seaboard too.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just gave a nephew a work truck, agreed on price, gave him money for fuel and extras and had him keep receipts. Then gave him a bonus for helping. Worked out well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just keep this in mind....... Insurance.