Fixing 3" tear on side of Aluminum boat

Chris&Heidi

Recruit
Any ideas what could be used to fix this?
DSCN2934.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fixing 3" tear on side of Aluminum boat

where is it on the boat. i used some duct tape on the inside as backer, and filled one like that with JB Weld Marine, never had a problem with it. it took several applications to build it up.

Chris&Heidi

Recruit

where is it on the boat. i used some duct tape on the inside as backer, and filled one like that with JB Weld Marine, never had a problem with it. it took several applications to build it up.

Thanks! It is on the left side right above the rear bench seat.
DSCN2936-1.jpg

tashasdaddy

should fix it right up. mine was below the water line.

tashasdaddy

gray. you can paint it.

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could take it to a weld shop and they could weld it. I don't have a clue to the cost. Take a picture of problem and ask them for a ballpark estimate.

Nandy

Commander

Tig welding is going to be very costly compared to using jbweld or marinetex. Both should work. I did many repairs with marinetex and jbweld in my johnboats, lots of it under the water line, with no problem...

JB

Just begs for aluminum brazing with a propane torch.

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class

call the local prop repair guy I had a 4 inch gash and used a hammer and 2x4 to get it back together and he charged $30 to weld it up.

I also had Him weld a Toyota 22-R timing cover when the chain rubbed a hole in it.

Nandy

Commander

Just begs for aluminum brazing with a propane torch.

I got them rods for alum brazing and still have to get temps right and get a good "puddle" going. It is just that detail that darn alum dont glow when it is at the right temp plus I need to practice a bit more. But if the OP can manage it rods are available at homedepot, lowes, harbor freight and others. All you need is a propane torch. It will be money well spent if the OP plan to keep that boat for a few more seasons.

bugman1964

Seaman Apprentice

Aluminum melts at a little over 400 deg F. Soot up the aluminum with the flame of a lit candle, or acetylene from torch, turn the aluminum black with carbon. The carbon burns off at a little under 400 deg F. This is a good pre-heat temp for the aluminum when torch welding/brazing. Once pre heated focus the heat on the rod get it melting and braze/weld the repair area.

Nandy

Commander

I thought I heard/read that somewhere but it slipped my mind. My only question is what will that soot do to the brazing quality? I mean, wouldnt that be contaminating the work area? Is an hones question... Im trying that anyway...

fishrdan

Admiral

I like TD's JD Weld idea. The dried epoxy is a medium gray color that might not match the aluminum too well, but it you sand the shiny top layer off, it turns a light gray color that will blend much better with the aluminum if you are worried about aesthetics.

The aluminum brazing rods (Durafix) would work nice too, but you should practice a bit with them before attempting a repair like this, if you want it to look good. If you braze that area you should roll the boat over so the area is horizontal as the brazing rod goes from liquid to solid quickly,,, it will run and drip off a vertical surface. Maintaining the right temp is critical since the rod melts about 100* (or something like that?) less than the aluminum base material, you wouldn't want to melt a bigger hole in the boat. All you would need is the brazing rods, MAPP gas torch and stainless steel brush,,, MAPP gas to get that big of an area hot enough, all at once. Google Durafix and watch a few of the videos.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is just a 4" bead of tig any reputable welding shop should be able to do it for less than $100 worst case.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

the problem with JB is if the repair fails and you decide to weld it you have to try and get all the jb off first, done it, not fun.

You should be able to get that welded for cheap and then it is done.

Chris&Heidi

Recruit

Thanks so much for everyones suggestions. They were very helpful. Have a great day!:D