Help I need some info on mounting downriggers

rsgonza

Seaman
Ok,I got me a set of cannon mag 10s electric,I also have 2 easy troll,there mounted on my 03 19ft kenner,I need some ideas as how to mount these,there heavy and have a long boom so the stress will be greater.as it is with my manual d.rigger they seem to strees the sides of my boat.has anyone mabye fabricated brakets.I can put them on the rear deck if I have to but I have two seats there.any help would be apreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help I need some info on mounting downriggers

Ayuh,... Pictures sure would Help...

reelfishin

Captain

I had downriggers set up on one of my old boats, I made up heavy aluminum plates to reinforce the underside of the gunwales with and added two braces down to the deck to add extra support. It held up fine, never had any issues.
I'd be tempted to add a longer undersupport on some of these newer boats with thinner glass. Maybe a long length of wood backed with metal where the down rigger mounts. Mounting can be more difficult if the underside of the gunwales are foam filled.

rsgonza

Seaman

,I bought 2 electric mag10 cannons with swival bases now I have enlosed pics of my long though of idea .ny bimini top is in the way .I want to run 4 2 electric and 2 manual, my boat does not have a good place to put them the boat walls gunwales I thing u call them that are kinda weak up front I have my downriggers of 5 yrs too far up front so i'm moving them back and lifting the top by making holding brakets does anyone have any other ideas or pics of there own I can look at if I do it the way I can only think of I lose two seats and have the top sitting 45degrees all the time .please anyone feel free to post there downrigger pics and give any ideas.Thank you...here is a link I hope you can see the pics. http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii310/rsgonzales/Downriggers mounts/?albumview=slideshow

reelfishin

Captain

I've not had to deal with mounting downriggers on a small boat as of yet, it don't look like you have much to work with when it comes to space and mounting locations. If the sides of the boat are flexing, then it will be a matter of doing what ever it takes to reinforce the mounting point. If it's a foam filled hull like a Boston Whaler or similar, the gunwales may not be very accessible underneath. I can't make out from the pics what the underside of the gunwales look like. Hollow? It maybe a matter of adding some down brackets to the deck somehow. You may also want to call the boat manufacturer to see what they think if that's still an option.