Screw went throuhg bottom of fiberglass hull?? Help!!!

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright guys, this project boat I got an 86 Chris Craft 18' I have been working on it all summer. Just got an engine and refurbished the interior. But as I was checking the hull I found a drywall screw came through the fiberglass and you can see out side the hull. I checked all my recent additions and found no screw that would have done it. I guess the person who put the floor in did it. Anyway, how would you pro's fix it. Star with an easy fix then to a harder one. I was thinking about putting silcone around the screw where it came throuhg just to seal it for temp purposes to get me on the water. Will silicane bond to the srew, any suggetstions. I was also thinking about clipping then putting fiberglass patch over top. Any help thanks??

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Screw went throuhg bottom of fiberglass hull?? Help!!!

I would try to grind or cut it so it's a little further back than the fiberglass. Then put a little Marine Tex over it and sand smooth. Should do the trick. Hopefully it is a stainless steel screw.

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I ended up doing was putting some Marien GOOP around the screw and hole. That stuff is flexibale and doens't look like it will break off. And it si water proof. I will do that if this doesn't work :D <br />Thanks

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I had a small screw hole from the previous owner, but no screw, just a hole. I originally use 3M 5200 to seal it, and it worked, but it was always on my mind, so when I took it back out of the water for another hull repair, I ground out a dish shaped area with a 4 inch diameter to it. I used epoxy, and laid four layers of cloth, going from a small piece to the four inch width in size increments. Sanded, and will never have to worry about that again.