What type of oil is used in marine compass?

proline2

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Ritchie compass on my boat that needs to have the oil replaced. I filled it with mineral oil, but the card moves too slowly to use it. I checked on having it fixed at a compass repair facility, and the estimate was within $20 of the cost of new. It's worth trying something different to see what works. Changing the seals is no problem, I just need to know what oil works well in the compass.<br />Thanks

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What type of oil is used in marine compass?

West Marine sells compass oil,by Ritchie.It is a refined mineral spirit(paint thinner).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Odorless Mineral Spirits, Proline.<br /><br />Get it at your drug store or hardware store.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

walleyehed

Admiral

We use non-flamable stodard solvent in aircraft dash compasses, but any above, minus the w.b. grease will work just fine.

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

Are there differences in mineral oil types? I filled it with some that I bought that is very heavy and it makes the card turn very slowly. Like everybody else I've got paint thinner on the garage shelf collecting dust, guess I'll give that a try next. Thanks for the responses. And Luckyjim, I think that may be true bearing grease that you were referring too?

Trent

Captain

If its low the diaphram has a hole in it and is time to replace it.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I heard you can put alcohol in there too, but I dont know how reliable that is

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mineral oil and mineral spirits are not the same thing. <br /><br />Ritchie told me to use mineral spirits, not oil.