how to remove decals,glue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leserz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
how to remove decals,glue ?

any tips on how to remove the old registration numbers and the glue from stickers on a fiberglass hull ?

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: how to remove decals,glue ?

blow dryer (dont heat it too much just enough to get the glue soft)and plastic scraper. clean it up with wd-40 to remove the glue

knights

Cadet

goo gone, wd40 and rubbing alchol.<br />plus elbow grease and more elbow grease,

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Acetone will do it also.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

3M makes an adhesive removal wheel that chucks in your electric or cordless drill. It's like a big, round eraser. I used it to remove decals from two vehicles, and it worked incredibly well. No damage to paint, and stickers came right off. Easiest way I've ever found to get 'er done.

bossd

Recruit

i know this is an old page but to anyone that reads this do not use acetone it will eat the paint

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most boats have a Gelcoat finish,Acetone wont bother it. Just remember to re-wax after new #'s are on.

Nandy

Commander

I used my propane torch. The previous owner used these big decals made for houses and mailboxes. I was careful and it came out real fast. You must be very careful not to overheat the gelcoat. After that, goo gone, then buffered the darn thing....

Hi, first time here, found this site while searching the net on how to remove old decals from my boat, I quickly found out how much work it is to remove old decals, since there was no big rush to complete the task I figured I'd do a little at a time until I could get the job done, But as luck would have it I found what I needed at Harbor Freight, it's called a "Hot Blade Decal Remover" it's part # 65057-0VGA, costs $9.99, it's like a soldering iron with a razor attached, it does get very hot so use caution, , it easily removed decals that had been on my boat since 1962, and I found that if you don't try to rush the speed of using this tool it works great ( don't let it remain in one place too long either )- and I had no problem with it damaging anything...
Good Luck.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used something called goof off for glue and stickers, smells strong and requires a good clean up after. I have also used a hand blow dryer to soften the letters and peel them off.

Now for painted letters on the stern, I've used oven cleaner:eek:... spray on to the letters just long enough for the paint to begin to bubble and rise a little then clean up well and rinse with lots of water.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

For me Acetone was the easiest to remove the goo if you have Gelcoat, I would use WD-40 or rubbing alcohol if you have paint.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like the earlier post says... for vinyl & adhesives use a rubber wheel chucked in your cordless drill. This is absolutely the best way... took me 15 minutes to completely remove a vinyl name from my boat. Came out perfect with NO chemicals or significant effort... it just erases it. Completely.

Buy it at nearly any auto-body store. $15 or so and it NEVER wears out.

spurty05

Cadet

any tips on how to remove the old registration numbers and the glue from stickers on a fiberglass hull ?

Hi,as i am a spray painter we use prepsol or grease and wax remover as it does not harm anything,not sure what you call it there as i am in australia.good luck

spurty05

Cadet

Hi,as i am a spray painter we use prepsol or grease and wax remover as it does not harm anything,not sure what you call it there as i am in australia.good luck

and yes use a hair dryer to get the stickers off first

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Rubber wheel and 3M adhesive remover. Only way to go!

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

citrus base cleaner or goo gone should do the trick

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Old, dead thread, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.