• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to remove decals,glue ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove decals,glue ?

any tips on how to remove the old registration numbers and the glue from stickers on a fiberglass hull ?

Re: how to remove decals,glue ?

blow dryer (dont heat it too much just enough to get the glue soft)and plastic scraper. clean it up with wd-40 to remove the glue

Comment

goo gone, wd40 and rubbing alchol.plus elbow grease and more elbow grease,

Comment

Acetone will do it also.

Comment

3M makes an adhesive removal wheel that chucks in your electric or cordless drill. It's like a big, round eraser. I used it to remove decals from two vehicles, and it worked incredibly well. No damage to paint, and stickers came right off. Easiest way I've ever found to get 'er done.

Comment

goo gone.

Comment

i know this is an old page but to anyone that reads this do not use acetone it will eat the paint

Comment

Originally posted by bossd View Post
                i know this is an old page but to anyone that reads this do not use acetone it will eat the paint

And plastic!!

Comment

Most boats have a Gelcoat finish,Acetone wont bother it. Just remember to re-wax after new #'s are on.
                  Nec aspera terrent

Comment

I used my propane torch. The previous owner used these big decals made for houses and mailboxes. I was careful and it came out real fast. You must be very careful not to overheat the gelcoat. After that, goo gone, then buffered the darn thing....
                    1975 Cobia Tradewinds SS-170
                    Close Bow 17 Footer V-Hull
                    1975 Evinrude 70573-B 70HP

1968 Babcock
                    Bow Rider 15 Footer Thrihull
                    1968 Mercury 500 50 HP

Yes, I could google it, but I rather get advise from my Iboats fellow members...

Comment

use a product called grog. works great. here's a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILw0WcZxMU

Comment

Hi, first time here, found this site while searching the net on how to remove old decals from my boat, I quickly found out how much work it is to remove old decals, since there was no big rush to complete the task I figured I'd do a little at a time until I could get the job done, But as luck would have it I found what I needed at Harbor Freight, it's called a "Hot Blade Decal Remover" it's part # 65057-0VGA, costs $9.99, it's like a soldering iron with a razor attached, it does get very hot so use caution, , it easily removed decals that had been on my boat since 1962, and I found that if you don't try to rush the speed of using this tool it works great ( don't let it remain in one place too long either )- and I had no problem with it damaging anything...
                        Good Luck.

Comment

I have used something called goof off for glue and stickers, smells strong and requires a good clean up after. I have also used a hand blow dryer to soften the letters and peel them off.

Now for painted letters on the stern, I've used oven cleaner... spray on to the letters just long enough for the paint to begin to bubble and rise a little then clean up well and rinse with lots of water.
                          FREELANCER

It's better to push ahead twice than to ever back once!

Comment

For me Acetone was the easiest to remove the goo if you have Gelcoat, I would use WD-40 or rubbing alcohol if you have paint.

Comment

Like the earlier post says... for vinyl & adhesives use a rubber wheel chucked in your cordless drill. This is absolutely the best way... took me 15 minutes to completely remove a vinyl name from my boat. Came out perfect with NO chemicals or significant effort... it just erases it. Completely.

Buy it at nearly any auto-body store. $15 or so and it NEVER wears out.
                              1989 Sea Ray 300 Sundancer
                              Twin 260 Merc I/Os
                              Irondequoit Bay, Lake Ontario NY

Comment

Working...
                              X