Holding tank lining ?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
When I got my boat back in 01, I had to refiberglass the holding tank. Actually it is not a tank, but just a portion in the hull where the waste is pumped from the head. As in the POO POO thread, it sorta jarred my brain that I probably should redo my holding tank this year before launch. So here is my question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Would the bed liner material that is used in truck beds be more durable than fiberglass with epoxy paint coating? Thanks............SS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Holding tank lining ?

i don't think so. besides the texture may hold things you don't want it to.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've seen some good stuff and I've seen some bad. A friend has the Rhino brand. He hauls lots of auto parts. Its scuffed, but not torn. The stuff is about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Inside the holding tank is just soft nasty crap, so I don't think it is going to damage it any. The main factor is the cost comparison and would it be worth it.

I did go out in todays warm weather to see inside if all is well with it. I may not even need to do any repairs (that would be nice) 50* and windy. First time since November. Snow was still about 3' deep around it. So I didn't bother try to uncover her to get inside. With my luck, the wind would catch my cover and rip it to shreads, and winter isn't over yet.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i don't think so. besides the texture may hold things you don't want it to.

td is right. spray on bed liners are made to be tough but not designed to be covered in water 24-7 with out leaking

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

When we built the tank for our sailboat we just used 1/4 plywood with fiberglass cloth over it with epoxy resin (west system). No problems in the 5 years we have had it.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It just seems that something that is rated as "Blast Proof" would leak. I saw on the Discovery Channel where they sprayed Rhino coat on a two story structure made of cement block. They then placed a car in front of it full of explosives similar to that of a typical car bomb. The Rhino coat stayed intact holding the building up. They was able to tell that the cement block was crushed, but was held in place with the Rhino coat preventing failure of the structure.

They took two truck beds and put explosives under the bed. The bed without the Rhino coat, the blast went thru the bed. The one with the Rhino coat deflected the blast and did not go thru the bed. This is what has me thinking that this could be a good thing to use for a harsh environment. I guess one should see that demonstration.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you think your head and/or holding tank is going to be subjected to blasts like that, then I suggest you change your diet.

Why do you think anything needs to be done to it?