Boat Lettering

mthieme

Captain
I want to name the old 'Ray (finally thought of name after a decade!). The name will be "Haul Mark".
Problem is, the transom is fairly busy...swim platform to port, OD, a couple lines (FF, speedo) to starboard. Using 5" letters I'm thinking it is going to be even busier and tight especially with the port of call (The 'Dena) underneath using 3" letters.
I need to measure how much room I have to work with above the OD.
Anybody got any shots of their letting on a smaller busy transom?
Opinions?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Boat Lettering

my transom ain't busy. but where i put it didn't take up much room. i put my 3'' lettering above my drive in a slight arc. the problem with my transom i had to contend with is the transom is arced outward from the hull up at the cap...

MissouriRiver09_16_07_38.jpg

sounds like that area of your boat may have room.
maybe post up a pic of your transom will help us help you out too.

Last edited:

woosterken

Lieutenant

mine is not so busy,here is my letters.
IM000022.jpg

woosterken

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..

Way Too much crap on my Transom,...
I moved the Name around to the side,....

f17692.jpg

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought. I own a BW Montauk that I have named "Joe Bob" (actually not yet named on my avatar....obviously, I need a new picture)... the name went on the side, not on the transom. I have named several boats, and all have the name on the side. In my humble opinion, on small boats, the transom is too small with too many other things on it...the side is the place to add the name. More room for graphics, more room for larger names, etc.....YMMV

mthieme

Captain

Okay, I finally got pic of the stern.
I think the lettering may be less of an issue than I thought.
I found a guy on eBay that sells a package - 6" name and 3" port of call any color - any style "quality" vinyl for $20.

The only issue which many be minor is the raised area of the transom. Do you think this is going to an issue aesthetically? I figure the 6" letters are going to follow it - I could arrange them to follow the V.

Attachments

• Lettering.JPG
    Lettering.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 0

mthieme

Captain

Well, I had to make a command decision and went ahead and ordered the lettering kit.
I'll post a pic after installation.

mthieme

Captain

Here's what I ordered.

Attachments

• lettering.JPG
    lettering.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 0

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the font. Should look good.

mthieme

Captain

My letters came today. That was lightning fast. They are custom made. The vendor included a plastic blade for getting the bubbles out too. I probably won't get them on for a few days though. Too late today and some weather is coming tomorrow.:(

cbavier

Lieutenant

My letters came today. That was lightning fast. They are custom made. The vendor included a plastic blade for getting the bubbles out too. I probably won't get them on for a few days though. Too late today and some weather is coming tomorrow.:(

What name did you decide on? Got it. Guess I missed the post. Sorry

zach103

Commander

make sure you use the blade when putting it on.. we did one side without it and it came out with some good size bubbles.. we did the other side with it and obviously got some but they were tiny and couldnt see the unless you really looked

mthieme

Captain

Zach, how did you get it started? Top middle ? and work your way out and down?
If you look at the pics of my transom, I got a vee shaped 'ridge' which I anticipate could cause some issue(s) assuming it is all one decal. I don't now if the letters are separate or not and don't wanna find out yet either.
I just saw the weather report...looks like it's going to get into the mid 50's toward the end of the week. I'll wait until next weekend for this. Maybe I can get some pointers before then.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Find a local sign shop, they are just as cheap and then you can actually sit down and pick your font and vinyl.

If you already got them they will come with a tranparent masking peice over the top of letters and they will be properly spaced

To put it on(worked at sign shop years ago) it will have a backer that the stickers are actually stuck to and a thin transparent peice over the top.

Put masking tape in the middle and both ends, be sure the middle peice is in between letters, line it up where you want it then pull one end lose and hold it back,cut the backing between letters with a razor blade leaving the masking on the front of the letters and remove the backing and start at the cut working to the end, you should use a small plastic paddle but your finger will work, this part is critical as you get one shot at it.

Work top to bottom while moving to the end of the sticker keeping the part you arent working off the hull till you get to it then repeat on the other side.

The V shouldn't be a problem, just work the vinyl on slow and even top to bottom, it bends and conforms to alot of stuff pretty easily.

If you gat an air bubble just poke a small hole with a pin and push it out.

Just redid mine got both running numbers-2 Sea-Nymphs and my boat name for $20.

Take your time and you will be fine, good luck.

mthieme

Captain

Good input - thanx.
Glad you mentioned sign-maker.
I have a friend two blocks away that was a (street) sign maker at one time.
Maybe I'll recruit him.:D

zach103

Commander

yah i started from the side of it.. where your H would be.

mthieme

Captain

I'm afraid that V is gonna screw me up if I start at either end.
But taping it sounds like it should fix that.

zach103

Commander

im on a mac so i dont have paint..but what if you put haul on the side so it comes right to the edge of the v. than mark opposite side same spot than put The Dema on the v