Ski Pole Suggestions...

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a boat from a guy a few weeks ago and everything is going great with it. I got it for a steal. Anyway, there is a place that looks like some kind of ski pole should go but I can't find what may go there. One of the pictures below is the hole on the top of the boat for the pole. I have attached a couple of pictures so that you can see what I'm talking about. I would love some suggestions on what I should consider putting there. Thanks.

Attachments

• 100_1489.jpg
    100_1489.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1491.jpg
    100_1491.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1490.jpg
    100_1490.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ski Pole Suggestions...

sure does not look anywhere near sturdy enough for a ski pole. may a flag pole.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Sorry, that would hold a skier for about 1/10th of a second before it ripped out.

Most of the single ski poles I have seen are at least 4'' diameter, no way would a pole that small hold a skier, that would have to be for a rod holder or a light, something that isn't stressed.

Our ski poles at work are 4'' diameter-1/4 thick aluminum tube and are held to the boat with a 3/4 stainless bolt through 1/4 aluminum, pulling a skier or tube generates hundreds of pounds of force, well more than that strap and 4 screws could ever hold.

Hard to say what it actually was for, a flag pole maybe, people do some strange things to boats.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I agree with TD,...

Looks more like a place for a stern Flag....

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

You all make a very good point, which is exactly why I brought it here. Now on another note, what is a safe way to add some kind of ski/tube pulling system to a boat that doesn't have anything now. I'm sure at some point it had something for it, but there is no sign of it now.

tashasdaddy

it probably had stern tow eyes. without seeing the rest of the boat, that is a close as i can get.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are there transom hooks on the outside of the boat(ones you strap down to trailer with) if so they make a bridal that attaches to those with a pulley that you attach the ski rope to. That would be the cheapest, and I agree with the others there is no way that would hold even a kid skiing. I vote flag, light, or rod holder. The next cheapest would be a ski hook that you install yourself, looks like pretty good access back there. They can be bought for around $25-35.

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

My boat does have the hooks in the stern for the trailer tie down...would that be strong enough to pull tubes and skiiers? Where do you buy the attachment?

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

Attached is a picture of the back of the boat.

Attachments

• 100_1493.jpg
    100_1493.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, this got me exactly what I needed. got it ordered and now I will have it for ski/tube season.

Utahboatnut

If access permits I would check the nuts holding the transom hooks on just to make sure they are tight and sealed well. What you have will work fine(the tow bridal) I have used them in the past, however if pulling tubes keep an eye out for the tube wanting to submarine. Your pulling from a low point especially when in the water. Try it out, might work just fine if not look for a ski ring or hook you can mount up higher on the transom, they are pretty easy to install. Next time you are out look at some other boats for placement of the tow ring it will help give you ideas if you go that route.

tashasdaddy

those are not tie own hooks they are tow eyes. yes use the harness.

rainman240cs

Seaman Apprentice

Believe it or not, that is for towing tubes/skiers. If I didn't know better, I would think you took a pcture of my 87 Glastream. You should have a hole above that in the rear of the deck, correct? You then take your tow eye- pole,(mine is about 2' long with a hole drilled through it) and slide it down into the engine compartment, then bolt it to that bracket so it does't spin. I wish I could post a picture for you but my boats all wrapped up!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Believe it or not, that is for towing tubes/skiers. If I didn't know better, I would think you took a pcture of my 87 Glastream. You should have a hole above that in the rear of the deck, correct? You then take your tow eye- pole,(mine is about 2' long with a hole drilled through it) and slide it down into the engine compartment, then bolt it to that bracket so it does't spin. I wish I could post a picture for you but my boats all wrapped up!

Actually...this sounds reasonable to me...since I have never seen a "flag pole' of that massive diameter!

Question is...can one be found for this older boat?

If not...I am sure that the above ski bridals will work, just fine.

Utahboatnut

I thought they were tow eyes, but in the picture he has the transom strapped down to the trailer with them?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I thought they were tow eyes, but in the picture he has the transom strapped down to the trailer with them?

He has the starboard side attached...the port side strap is hanging loose, around the bottom of the trailer.

Some people want to call these 'tie downs'...and others are calling them 'tow eyes'!

Whichever...if they are strong enough to trailer down the Interstate, then they are strong enough to ski behind!

sheltonchris1

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so if I am getting this right, the hole in the top of the boat might work for the skiing stuff, but might not so it would be better to use the pulley/yoke system on the tow rings just to be sure. Thanks for the info, should be helpful.

rainman240cs

Seaman Apprentice

The pulley system is a sweet setup, imo, the tow eye will give you a higher tow point, maybe less line getting dragged under the wake, etc. personal preference really. If your really into it, get a wake-tower!