driver's seat comfort in alum. fishing boat?

Jen Perry

Recruit
I am looking at a few different brands of side console (14 to 16ft.) aluminum fishing boats: Lund, Princecraft, Alumacraft, Crestliner, Smokercraft, & Starcraft. As I try to narrow down my search for that "perfect" boat I notice some big variations in the comfort of the seats and the comfort of the amount of arm reach you need for holding the steering wheel (some are far away, some are between your knees, etc). Driver's seat comfort is going to be an important part of my decision-making process. I have a bad back and am unable to sit for long periods of time on a poorly supported seat, and am unable to hold my arms in an outstretched, straight-elbow postion for extended periods of time. A seat might be comfortable for me when I try it out at the dealer's but I am wondering about comfort over the long haul. I know, I know... get up and stretch. :) Assuming I do, I am still wondering if anyone has any comments about this? Thanks so much and my back thanks you too!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: driver's seat comfort in alum. fishing boat?

Yup, there are serious differences. Expand your search beyond the side console (14 to 16ft.) aluminum fishing boats. You may find an even better fit for your back with a different type of boat. This is a very individual thing.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have fished many hours in some newer Alumacraft and Lund boats. Excellent seats compared to most, but seating/wheel position will be different from boat to boat and person to person. <br /><br />My 2 boats have crappy soft seats. I have put 2 new Alumacraft seats on my Christmas list. I would really like at least one to have the arm rests, but now we are getting real expensive, and it would be a constant reminder of how soft I am getting.<br /><br />My current seats cost about $40.<br />THe Alumacraft or Lund seats are $128-$179 each.<br />When dad comes fishing with me, he brings his Alumacraft seat with him.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No need to bring his boat, why tow it 260 miles with his big truck, when he can put the seat and rods in his Subaru and get 35 miles a gallon. And no towing hassles for the 69 year old.

jim.L

Cadet

i just bought a used smokercraft i like the seats just fine.drivers seat is adjustable forward and backward.so you can pick how close you want to be to the console.and you cant beat the sun shade on these boats,nice on hot days :) . good luck on your hunt.