disassembly of omc throttle arm to get to trim switch?

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, Just wondering if anyone knows "the secret" to taking apart the throttle arm on the control box to get at the trim switch? My trim switch went bad yesterday and will only work to trim down now. When you push to trim up it just feels like there is no resistance and won't work. I tried to get the throttle arm apart, but it wouldn't come apart. It is a side mount control box, early 90's model, with an OMC sticker in the middle of the throttle arm. Thanks in advance for any help.<br /><br />Steve

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: disassembly of omc throttle arm to get to trim switch?

This thing is frustrating the heck out of me. I took the control box all of the way off, took out the allen screw in the back. I was told that then the throttle arm would just come right off. I couldn't get it to budge, so i took the control box apart, but cannot see anything(screws/bolts) that would prevent the arm from coming off of the box. Any help would definitely be appreciated because my local shop said they couldn't get to it for three weeks! I have a few trips planned over the next few weekends, so i'm hoping someone knows how to take this thing apart. Thanks for any help in advance. I hate it when something so simple seems to be stumping me. take care,<br /><br />Steve

medic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the control arm where is says OMC...does that cover pop off? The cover on my lever does and there is a bolt under it that holds the lever in place. Hope we are talking about the same thing.<br /><br />medic

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply, i went out and looked at it and pryed on it for a while but it didn't work. It's just one piece of molded plastic there. I was hopeful for a little while at least. <br /><br />Steve

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

Hey man, I have the same problem with a force (I guess it is actually a mercury controll). The problem no doubt is in the switch, as the relays are OK. It is on my pontoon, and the way it is mounted you cannot work on it with out removing from the boat, which I sort of hate to do right now (maybe in the wintertime when I do not use it so much). Looking at it appears as if there is no way of getting to the innards of the switch. To raise or lower, I have been going under the cover where there are two wires with plugs (one blue, and one green), unplugging them, and reversing (with a dc motor, to reverse it all you need to do, is reverse polarity). Ive been thinking about trying to find the wires coming out of the control, and run them through a switch on the dash to reverse them before they get too the relays. :D :D :D :D

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, i wasn't able to take it apart the "designed" way, but i was able to separate it enough to get the switch out without breaking.....much. I guess the switch is fine because it works outside of the throttle arm. The problem is that that switch is only held in place by one little screw into a cheapo plastic fitting in the control arm. Well, that screw busted out of the plastic and won't hold the switch in place now. I think i was able to build a makeshift bracket around the switch good enough to hold it in place. i works in the garage anyways, but then again, everything works in the garage, it's only when you get out to the middle of nowhere when things start breaking. Thanks for the help,<br /><br />Steve

medic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry dude...i was hoping that was it.

The Pawnbroker

Recruit

Steve-<br /><br />I have a 1992 OMC and I just had to fix the wire that controls the "down" trim. The wire had broken right where it goes into the control lever. On mine, there are three phillips head screws on the backside of the control lever. They are small and flush so they are hard to see. I had to use a small 90 deg. screwdriver because the lever is so close to the side panel. after removing the three screws, the black plastic cover comes right off and you can get at the wires and switch easily.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Pawnbroker, can you come up with an easy cure for the mercury/force switch access? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D