where to buy fiberglass mat and resin without ordering online?

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I'm replacing the center lift out board in my boat. I already have the new plywood cut to fit and all now I just need to finish the top of the board where the carpet goes on with 1 layer of mat and some resin.

and resin only on the bottom side, just curious in an average to small town where these materials can be found, also below are some pics 1 of the side without mat on it and the other side 3 pics with the mat.

what size mat is that i'll just buy the same again not sure how mat is size this looks like large strands.

I had a post on this and was getting close to having all the info I needed but it was messed up by yahoo's and it was closed so for you same people stay out of this one please.

thanks

bottom side without mat on it
DSC00548.jpg

top carpeted side with mat on it

Picture560.jpg

Picture558.jpg

Picture559.jpg

so by looking at the bottom 3 pictures if anyone can give advice what size mat on a package that would compare to that in the picture and I will use poly resin and where to buy I'll have this little job done today, I didn't have any luck finding poly resin at lowes or anywhere like that so far.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: where to buy fiberglass mat and resin without ordering online?

West Marine or Boaters World?

good tip closest west marine is about 2 hrs from me though.

so I went on their website and ordered this http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=4&classNum=673

It is poly resin, people said epoxy is better but this will work and yanno they said epoxy is a lot more it wasn't all that much more really but call me tight I went with this and saved around 12 bucks. :)

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Auto body shops or supply stores sometimes have it.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Just about every auto part store, hardware, or homeDepot carry resin and chopped strand mat.

Bondo brand.

You should put mat on the bottom also thought to reinforce the resin.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

And you didn't need to start a new thread to ask this question.... any of the other threads you've started about this project would have done just fine.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You need to use mat on both sides and the edges, polyester resin won't be of much value without glass.

Wal-Mart, K-Mart and all the other places mentioned above.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both discount auto parts and autozone carry the bondo brand resin, csm, and cloth. Think I paid around $30 for a gallon, comes with the mekp.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

And you didn't need to start a new thread to ask this question.... any of the other threads you've started about this project would have done just fine.

my thread was closed, due to yahoos so the moderator closed it.

un-needed post like this is the way it started too. Leave moderating to the MODS because you telling stuff like this without knowing what you're talking about is whats trashing threads.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys,

I probably should have looked around more at local places but I ended up ordering everything through westmarine.

another question though, how is fiberglass mat sized as far as the thickness and over all size of the mat strands?

I wanted something similiar that was used on the old original board but wasn't sure how mat is sized so I ordered this from west marine in the 1 yard bag.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=4&classNum=165

these are the sizes not sure if this size means how much is in the bag or if it's different STRAND sized?
Fiberglass Mat 1 Sq. YD $16.99 USA
Fiberglass Mat - 38" x 60", 3/4 OZ $27.99 USD
Fiberglass Mat - 38" x 90", 1 1/2 OZ

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

thanks guys,

I probably should have looked around more at local places but I ended up ordering everything through westmarine.

another question though, how is fiberglass mat sized as far as the thickness and over all size of the mat strands?

I wanted something similiar that was used on the old original board but wasn't sure how mat is sized so I ordered this from west marine in the 1 yard bag.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=4&classNum=165

these are the sizes not sure if this size means how much is in the bag or if it's different STRAND sized?
Fiberglass Mat 1 Sq. YD $16.99 USA
Fiberglass Mat - 38" x 60", 3/4 OZ $27.99 USD
Fiberglass Mat - 38" x 90", 1 1/2 OZ

You did just fine...as long as a 36" x 36" piece will cover your project.

Last thing that you need, is for your 'hatch' to sit higher than your surrounding areas. The plywood will carry the load...and the fiberglass will keep the wood relatively 'dry'!

samtron

Cadet

Hi I'm replacing the center lift out board in my boat. I already have the new plywood cut to fit and all now I just need to finish the top of the board where the carpet goes on with 1 layer of mat and some resin.

and resin only on the bottom side, just curious in an average to small town where these materials can be found, also below are some pics 1 of the side without mat on it and the other side 3 pics with the mat.

what size mat is that i'll just buy the same again not sure how mat is size this looks like large strands.

I had a post on this and was getting close to having all the info I needed but it was messed up by yahoo's and it was closed so for you same people stay out of this one please.

thanks

bottom side without mat on it
DSC00548.jpg

top carpeted side with mat on it

Picture560.jpg

Picture558.jpg

Picture559.jpg

so by looking at the bottom 3 pictures if anyone can give advice what size mat on a package that would compare to that in the picture and I will use poly resin and where to buy I'll have this little job done today, I didn't have any luck finding poly resin at lowes or anywhere like that so far.

Is that pine or fir? anyone know? I wish I could tell the difference in woods the internet doesn't have any good pictures of types of wood compared to each other looks wise. Curious since I just re-did my floor not sure if it was pine or fir I used.

Bondo

Staff member

Is that pine or fir? anyone know? I wish I could tell the difference in woods the internet doesn't have any good pictures of types of wood compared to each other looks wise. Curious since I just re-did my floor not sure if it was pine or fir I used.

Ayuh,....

Samtron, or weider1717,..
Whichever ID you prefer to use,.....

As noted in the Many other threads, both Here,+ the Other forums you've posted this question on,....

It Doesn't Matter......

As far as you calling Me,+ others,... Yahoos....

You're the 1 who doesn't seem to be able to Read the Answers left for you,...
And,...
Your the 1 who's pizzing people Off with your Constantly asking the Same Question,.. Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over.....

And then Totally Ignoring the ANSWERS................:rolleyes: :confused: :( :redface: :eek:

samtron

Cadet

Ayuh,....

Samtron, or weider1717,..
Whichever ID you prefer to use,.....

As noted in the Many other threads, both Here,+ the Other forums you've posted this question on,....

It Doesn't Matter......

As far as you calling Me,+ others,... Yahoos....

You're the 1 who doesn't seem to be able to Read the Answers left for you,...
And,...
Your the 1 who's pizzing people Off with your Constantly asking the Same Question,.. Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over,+ Over.....

And then Totally Ignoring the ANSWERS................:rolleyes: :confused: :( :redface: :eek:

ok? WAY off.

All I did is come in and ask a simple question because that was not brought up in this thread so I haven't asked crap over and over. It was a simple question is it pine or fir?

don't know do you? just say nothing if you don't. What a loser!

you need to read the thread before critizing peoples post.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

uh oh....

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Pine...specifically. Knotty Southern.