making swim platform '96 lund tyee i/o

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
do any of you have any experience with making swim platforms?
I want one for my 1850 tyee, i/o. I haven't been able to find any for sale, although i'm sure they are out there. i want it to be the full width of the boat, and to just clear the outdrive when it's up. is there any max length? and what brackets could i use. also want it made from wood. anything other than teak going to last?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: making swim platform '96 lund tyee i/o

I'm thinking of building one too, I've already made a cardboard template of the transom contour but temporarily lost interest.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have a Crestliner 1800 I/O and thinking of the same thing when I get the rebuild done. When the time comes, I'll start looking on Ebay for a set of take-off SS platform brackets from another boat.

I'm thinking of white oak since I had a trolling motor bracket on another boat made of this, it weathered for years and didn't show any signs of rot or cracking. Hit it with Thompsons every year and it was good for another season. Any way you go with wood, teak, white oak, etc... it's going to require yearly maintenance, oiling and sanding if it's getting rough.

(BTW, Old "Iron Sides" was made from white oak. I figure if it can withstand saltwater and canon balls bouncing off it... It will probably be good enough for a swim platform.)

Mr. Bogus

Cadet

We used 1/4" aluminum plate for the deck, reused existing ladder platform brackets (turned upside down, moved one to starboard side), welded 2 small angles to underside of platform for transom bolts, welded 3"X3" angle stiffener on underside between brackets. I also had the plate coated with Rhino Liner.
I know it's not wood, but it was easy and light.

IMG_0715.jpg

a70eliminator

Captain

That looks good, now just round off the corners and if you could figure a way to cap off the edge it would look trick, handrails like in the above post too.

I would love to see how those custom ones from swimplatforms.com get framed up and glassed. I'm thinking the just use plain old plywood like 1/2" maybe 3/4 add the tapered cross braces to give it the tapered angle and then rough glass that all in, then finish off with gelcoat on the topside?