Leaking rivets on small aluminum boats

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey I found a way to fix those leaking rivets last summer. The boat in question was a springbok 14 ft. I was forever bailing and fixing till I got the idea.2 part epoxy, you know the small tubes. Sand and clean the area around the rivet(s) with alcohol, cut some circular pieces of shirt material ( the size of a loonie) Canadian hahaha, Half dollar piece. Cover the cloth as in doing fiberglass. Place it over the rivet and with a wet finger smooth out the bubbles. Let dry. Then require a spray can of asphalt undercoating and give it a shot to cover the patch. Extra coats may be added. This is the only thing that worked for me including JB weld.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Leaking rivets on small aluminum boats

putting in a new rivet isn't that hard and its a permanent fix

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear about these things leaking all the time, but I've never had one that leaked and I've had several riveted aluminum boats.

The current one I have is 18yrs old and it's the dryest boat I own! (Bass Tracker)

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I hear about these things leaking all the time, but I've never had one that leaked and I've had several riveted aluminum boats.

Yeah, same here!
1.gif

I think people must use them for ocean crossings or something that loosens 'em up...
16.gif

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The link goes to a 2 part epoxy "Gluvit".....I have used it on a 1967 starcraft, and it is WONDERFUL! It will fix leaks, and is known as the aluminum boat's best friend....and I agree completely. It is a very good product, easy to use, and very, very effective....

Shizzy

Ensign

that does sound like a lot of work and ugly once you are done.

of course my 41 year old tinny doesnt leak a drop. :p

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gluvit, is the aluminum boats best freind.

Mike2043

Cadet

I have 4 aluminum row boats that I use. All of them had small leaks when I got them.. I went to the local wallmart and picked up a can of spray on bed liner. The first time I used the spray cans. It worked. when I got my 3rd boat I picked up a 1 gallon can and brushed it on. That worked even better. You can make it as thick as you want and it stopped all leaks. Nice and easy. :D

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

That Gluvit really holds to aluminium, never heard of it. Sure seems alot easier than the way I do things. Buy the way, were pretty rough with our boats here, jumping beaver dams and hitting deadheads.:D

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting post.
I've been procrastinating on buying a used 19.5' Sea Nymph for ocean pounding.
Going to be fishing only. Guy just finished installing new decking with carpet.
Carpet is nice, but I hope to destroy it by next spring with Bluefish Juices and such.
If I can pull the deck without destroying, I'm thinking of Glovit on all rivets and seams followed by a roll-on bedliner material for quietness.
Would this be a good way to go or would I have problems?
I'd want to seal it once and forget it for many years.
Trying to locate some info on how I'd need to prep the aluminum (if any) to insure that the stuff sticks permenantly. No luck with it though.
Any advice to this method?
thanks

D

DJ

Gluv It will adhere to aluminum if:

1. Grind/sand it, finishing with 220 grit paper.

2. Wipe with acetone.

3. APPLY WITH CONFIDENCE.

Gluv It is the aluminum boats best friend.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What DJ said.....

Plus:
Gluvit does not have any UV protection (from what I understand). Therefore, you might do well to paint over it or protect it somehow. I have painted over mine on the aluminum boat, and have not yet had any problems with paint peeling. However, I only painted the boat about 9 months ago.

As I said earlier, Gluvit is great stuff! Use it with confidence!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well Gluvit creeps and flows when you apply it. It is best to tip the hull so it flows into the seams and it will stay there. I used it on the seams of my aluminum boats.

Takes some time to dry but actually remains flexible. JB weld tends to crack and re-leak.

You can apply 3m5200 but that does not flow like gluvit does.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tarpon - You already have a thread about your boat. Please ask questions in your thread and don't ask in 7 year old threads. Thanks

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Edit:
Mars, after 90days, a topic is considered inactive, hence their comments about 6mo old topic. Neither was directed at you, so your comment was both unnecessary and rude.

You are the only one who can re-up a topic, by posting in it, which you now have.
Remember to run your posts thru a family friendly filter before replying. Family friendly and the 90days are both discussed in the rules.

Digger, i dont care what the tv guy says, NEVER I would use flex seal on my boat anywhere.

But you can start a topic of your own and fix your boat how ever you'd like,

Thanks guys, John

Last edited by a moderator: