Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't know. Some how this gives me that gut feeling this is a con setup. :noidea:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/bpd/6139894305.html
classic clich? phrases to get as many dummys to give their email addresses as possible.......

Hey Bob call that number imbedded in the pic and see if someone with a heavy accent answers. :lol:

Hudson Valley NY CL ad and the number comes back to San Francisco CA phone. Spoofed number through Voip?

00a0a_fBtq0G05iSF_600x450.jpg

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey Bob call that number imbedded in the pic and see if someone with a heavy accent answers. :lol:

Hudson Valley NY CL ad and the number comes back to San Francisco CA phone. Spoofed number through Voip?

Same motor with same number is for sale in Baltimore. Phone number in picture like that screams scammer.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Is $1000 for an oil injected 40hp a smoking deal??? (No pun intended)

I'd say it's a scam cause they went to the effort to say the prop was repainted :-/

Tnstratofam

Commander
TN does not issue titles for boats, motors, or trailers. A bill of sale and the boats valid registration numbers are all you have. The registration doee not have to be current. if you bring in a boat from a state with a title TN does not issue you a new one so it's actually pretty easy to register a non titled boat here. Our Starcraft came from VA and even though I had a signed title when I went to register it the court clerk only wanted to see the bill of sale.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
TN does not issue titles for boats, motors, or trailers. A bill of sale and the boats valid registration numbers are all you have. The registration doee not have to be current. if you bring in a boat from a state with a title TN does not issue you a new one so it's actually pretty easy to register a non titled boat here. Our Starcraft came from VA and even though I had a signed title when I went to register it the court clerk only wanted to see the bill of sale.

I do NOT miss my boating life in Missouri - hell you had to title and sticker your electric motor!!! A typical bass boat required 4 titles, 4 stickers, 4 titles and 4 'fees'.

I've used TN laws (or lack thereof) to help myself and others in the 8 years i've lived here.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually had a title and bill of sell for my trailer when I bought the project outfit (I'm still working on :faceaplm: ). But I did so much rebuilt to the trailer, they registered it as a Home Built. So now it is MY trailer that I built.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
It's tough here in the People's Republic of Illinois too.

Me: I need to register my new boat
Clerk: Did you obtain title?, registration?, bill of sale?, proof of insurance? phtos showing HIN?, affidavit?, fingerprints?, blood type? DNA sample?.....:rolleyes:

and on top of that, they determine your taxes based on "fair market value of boat" regardless of what you paid.

roffey

Commander
Here in Ontario you need bill of sale and HIN. I know someone is going to tell me different but that is all I needed for the previous used boats I had.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Clerk: Did you obtain title?, registration?, bill of sale?, proof of insurance? phtos showing HIN?, affidavit?, fingerprints?, blood type? DNA sample?.....:rolleyes:

and on top of that, they determine your taxes based on "fair market value of boat" regardless of what you paid.

Actually the reason they go by fair market value is because years ago, at least in Georgia, people were buying new high priced boats and then selling them to their wives for one dollar. So they were then only paying taxes on a boat valued at one dollar. The went on for a few years until they wised up and reverted to fair market value to stop that lever scheme.

However, then you have the opposite issue with fair market value as well. You could buy a boat that is totally trashed and their fair market value could be multiple time more then the boat could even possibly be worth. And you are taxed for their fair market value on it. So it seems okay to screw the owner, but never the government. JMHO

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Sounds like WA state and I'll add to the list of requirements... Clerk: "you don't need both of those to have more children, we'll need to have that left one." :eek:

roffey

Commander
people were buying new high priced boats and then selling them to their wives for one dollar. So they were then only paying taxes on a boat valued at one dollar..

But you would still have to buy the boat at full price and the dealer would charge all related taxes? I could see this working if you financed a new boat and determined you could not afford the payments. You sell it for a dollar and the buyer takes over the loan and does not pay the tax.... maybe?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
But you would still have to buy the boat at full price and the dealer would charge all related taxes? I could see this working if you financed a new boat and determined you could not afford the payments. You sell it for a dollar and the buyer takes over the loan and does not pay the tax.... maybe?

In Georgia, in the past, we had to pay advolum taxes every year on things like Cars, SUV's, Trucks, Trailers and yes Boats. So each year the purchased decreasing value was applied and you payed those taxes.

They recently changed that so you pay the taxes up front when you buy those things now. And it is a huge chuck of change. But then you only pay tag and registration fees yearly.

But before all this transpired, they calculated up the taxes on the selling/purchasing amount, hence the clever selling to your wife for one dollar scenario. You can't beat the government though. They will find away to tax you...on everything! :eek:

roffey

Commander
gm280 , Here in Ontario Canada when we buy retail you pay all the tax (13%) upfront. When you sell the buyer has to licence the boat, car or trailer you pay the tax once more. When we buy gas there is provincial tax and then federal tax on top the provincial so you pay tax on the tax, lol.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm280 , Here in Ontario Canada when we buy retail you pay all the tax (13%) upfront. When you sell the buyer has to licence the boat, car or trailer you pay the tax once more. When we buy gas there is provincial tax and then federal tax on top the provincial so you pay tax on the tax, lol.

Yea I hear yea. Back in my salesman day, UGH, I sold all types of things being a department type store. And we sold tires. And our tires were very well known to last a very long time. So lots of people bought our tires. And very few ever talked about paying tax on top of taxes. The federal government added on their tax, of course, and then the state and local governments added on theirs as well.

But the state and local taxes were on top of the federal tax. And every once in a while a customer made us remove the taxes on top of the federal taxes. And they were absolutely right about that. But the store policy was to charge the tax unless the customer complained about it.

It probable still goes on today with most customers not even thinking about it. Not right, but it is how things go. :eek: