whats the best way to store batteries and gas over winter

casper75

Seaman
What is the best way to store my batteries and the gas in the tank over the winter

gotons

Seaman Apprentice
Re: whats the best way to store batteries and gas over winter

Not to point you in another direction, but I found this information for you here.

Fuel Tank (3 Minutes)

Gasoline, unfortunately, doesn't like to be left alone any more than your engine and, given the right conditions, gasoline turns to a sticky, varnish-like substance. Bad gasoline can gum up your fuel injectors or carb, cause the valves to stick, and even plug the fuel lines.

You need to protect your fuel system from the winter elements, and you'll have a choice of draining your tank or filling your tank. If you store your boat in a boatyard or commercial storage area, check their rules because they may require you to drain the fuel out of your tank before storage. If so, this is a task for the pros at your local dealership.

If you're storing your boat at home or somewhere that doesn't require draining the tank, you should top off the tank to prevent condensation from forming in an empty or half-empty tank. That condensation becomes water, which can create endless problems when you try to start your boat in the spring.

To keep your gas fresh during the winter, add a fuel stabilizer (EZ-to-Store EZ-to-Start, for example) by pouring the proper amount into your fuel tank.

When you're finished, make sure the gas filler cap is screwed firmly in place and tape over the fuel vent to protect it from moisture. One skipper, who stored his boat in his yard, found his tank full of water which had entered the fuel vent when his lawn sprinklers shot water upwards under the vent.
Remove Batteries (6 minutes)

To remove the batteries, unbolt the battery terminals from the posts and, if the cables aren't marked with (+) and (-) or red and black colors, you should tag the positive cable with a piece of tape so you won't make a shocking (bad pun!) mistake when reconnecting the batteries in the spring.

If your battery has a whitish coating on the top, make a baking soda paste with water and clean the case, followed by thorough rinsing. Use the same method to get rid of any build-up on the battery cable clamps, too. Lightly smear the battery terminals with petroleum jelly for winter protection.

Your batteries should be stored in a warm and dry place such as your garage, and, since putting them on a concrete slab or dirt floor can drain them quickly, insulate them on pieces of wood.

At home, you should keep the batteries charged during the winter. If you have a modern battery charger that automatically senses the proper trickle charge, you can leave that connected continually. If your battery charger is the "off-on" variety, top off the battery monthly but don't just leave the charger on, because it can overheat and ruin the battery.

casper75

Seaman

thank you very much

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I habve a removable tank so I left that get low towards the end of the year and just add fresh gas to the gallon or os that is left in there.

Drain carbs, if there is no gas in the bowl it can't gum anything up.

Batteries I will charge for a day or 2 then put them in my basement in an out of the way area and I try to recharge them at some point during the winter which here last from December to the end of Febuary-March.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The posted instructions when dealing with batteries is absolute hogwash. Placing a modern battery on concrete DOES NOT drain it in short order. That information is as old as the hills and was meaningful only when batteries had the old hard rubber or wooden cases. You have the option of leaving the batteries in the boat or removing them. Charge them once a month or so or buy battery tenders (battery maintainers), plug them in and forget them until spring. As for fuel, when you add the stabilizer, run the engine long enough to get the stabilized fuel into the engine.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

The posted instructions when dealing with batteries is absolute hogwash. Placing a modern battery on concrete DOES NOT drain it in short order. That information is as old as the hills and was meaningful only when batteries had the old hard rubber or wooden cases. You have the option of leaving the batteries in the boat or removing them. Charge them once a month or so or buy battery tenders (battery maintainers), plug them in and forget them until spring. As for fuel, when you add the stabilizer, run the engine long enough to get the stabilized fuel into the engine.

What he said.

The concrete floor thing always makes me chuckle...

And make sure you use battery "tenders" NOT trickle chargers unless they're the automatic type as they'll overcharge the batteries and boil the electrolyte out of them.

My boat (just a small 16' puddle boat) stays outside and covered. I just run an extension cord under the cover attached to a tender.

Another word of caution, most of the fuel stabilizers only work for a few months... so depending on where you live you need to be careful. If you're boat is gonna be put up for 5-6months probably need to drain it and fog the motor.

This far south my boat is usually only "put up" for a couple of months.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I may be an older guy but as a young man i worked at a service station (for you young ones that's where someone would pump gas for you and check your oil and tire pressure) yes they actually did that in the old days :rolleyes: i remember having batteries back then on concrete, and yes they would lose a charge quickly on concrete. that is now a thing of the past, but being an old dog that cannot break old habbits, i store mine inside the basement on a wooden shelf off the cement :D

leakyrivet

Recruit

I have been debating the battery storage issue.

Is it better to store the batteries on the boat hooked up to a "tender" out in the
cold (covered of course), or to bring them into the basement with no "tender"?
It seems that the "tender" would keep the batteries warm out in the cold.

Am I wrong?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it's cold enough for a long enough period of time for the batteries to freeze bring them in put them on the cement floor and hook them up to a tender.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A fully charged battery will not freeze. If that were the case, there would not be a car or truck in Minnesota running for the last few days. It's been 10 below zero or more for days.

Shizzy

Ensign

A fully charged battery will not freeze. If that were the case, there would not be a car or truck in Minnesota running for the last few days. It's been 10 below zero or more for days.
for sure. fully charged battery an you are ok. I have forgot to put the charger on my Summer car a few times and went out on one of those cold days to find a dead AND frozen battery. :eek: