Correct knot for the anchor line?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Title says it all...what is the best knot to use for securing the anchor rope, to the anchor chain?

Don't think that it matters...but the boat is a Bayliner 175.

Surfdancer

Seaman
Re: Correct knot for the anchor line?

I've always used a thimble splice to keep the chain from rubbing the rode raw.

mthieme

Captain

Yup.
Good thing to do in winter in front of the tube...get all my splicing done this way!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Drowned Rat

Captain

Prefer the tracer 8 to the bowline here. Or a figure eight on a bight if you're using a shackle. Stronger than a bowline and absolutely no chance of coming undone.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Prefer the tracer 8 to the bowline here. Or a figure eight on a bight if you're using a shackle. Stronger than a bowline and absolutely no chance of coming undone.

I agree in regard to the bowline, but my choice of knots is no knot at all. Mine has a thimble and splice. Learning to splice is easy and should be considered a requirement.

wuttja

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went with the Anchor Bend and that has held very well for me on both my anchors. I'm in fresh water and generally anchor in shallow sandy/muck/rock mix bottoms.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Boy scout pdf file on whipping a rope end. http://www.scouting.org.za/resources/pioneering/Whipping.pdf

You can actually whip the end to the other piece of rope too...... I do know how to splice and it does make a good thing to learn during the winter months...... we used to plice wire rope (cable) when I woked with heavy equipment..... just a bit tougher to work with. :)

cr295

Cadet

Opinions vary greatly on this as with most things. I recently read some testing that was an eye opener to me. I had always used the thimble splice until last year.

This testing/evaluation revealed that the thimble splice/shackle connection was the second most troublesome method, ranking right behind tying the rode directly to the chain or anchor. Part of the testing showed that thimbles (especially Galvanized) were subject to hidden corrosion (especially when used with a stainless chain, anchor or shackle). The corrosion was almost always under the rode where it couldn't be seen; subjecting the rode to failure by being cut, sliced or abraded when under tension. The other part of the problem was the shackle wearing thru or corroding the the relatively thin thimble thus again causing a wear/failure point. Another stated issue with thimble/shackle setup is that most people don't wire or ziptie the shackle pin to secure it, which again leads to potential failure. The last problem was that thimbles and shackles won't pass thru a windlass.

According to this testing, the chain splice was the most secure, chafe and trouble free connection. The reasoning was 1) the rode when spliced correctly to the chain (tightly) moves with the chain not back and forth on a hinge point at that connection 2) simplicity-1 connection eliminates all of the other components in the system that are subject to their own individual or collective issues. I'm looking for the article now so that I can post it for review. In the mean time here are two versions of the chain splice, the second allegedly being the most secure:

Chain Splice:
http://www.animatedknots.com/chainspliceboating/index.php?L%20<br/>w.animatedknots.com/chainspliceboating/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Warp Splice
http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

I went with the first. I scuba dive on my rig and my anchor, chain, rode setup is considered life support equipment-not something to skimp on or do wrong. With that in mind I manually check the connection prior to every outing. If in question, I would resplice-but haven't had to yet.

It's counter intuitive to think that a shackle pin could work its way loose but I've seen them wrench tighted at the beginning of a dive and "finger loose" at the end. Bottom line no matter what connection you use, wire your shackle pin.

Thanks for the information I added to my favorites and will practice over the winter!

mthieme

Captain

Stainless chain ????? I've never seen chain in stainless. No doubt expensive.

The correct knot would be the BEST knot which is the one that doesn't come undone!

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I think it's good practice to use a rope that is suitable for anchors.
I have used a double half knot for most of my life on everything, and
the only time I had a knot failure was with a "cheap" rope on an anchor.

Nylon or special composite ropes made for anchor use will hold knots well.

Some other synthetic ropes will not hold any knot very well, for long.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Stainless chain ????? I've never seen chain in stainless. No doubt expensive.

The correct knot would be the BEST knot which is the one that doesn't come undone!

Stainless steel anchor chain is actually quite common. Boater's World and West Marine in Glen Burnie both carry it. They even carry it right here on Iboats ;)

Drowned Rat

Captain

You could use the "might knot". But then it might hold and....

mthieme

Captain

Stainless steel anchor chain is actually quite common. Boater's World and West Marine in Glen Burnie both carry it. They even carry it right here on Iboats ;)

Wow...$10 a foot and up. I live on the other side of the tracks. I'm afraid galvanized is gonna be it for me.
I see too many weekend warriors using 1/4" nylon rope with a clove hitch and nothing else, too many w/o chain at all...gotta wonder how many anchors never come home.
In defense of the regular local boaters, they are set up properly but noone seems to have gone overboard with SS chain.
I learn something new here everyday...thanks

BillP

Captain

Anchor bend for me if not using a rope spliced thimble. Whoever did the testing that says to use a rope to chain splice on an anchor is out of touch. There are few to zero hidden corrosion problems under galv thimbles. Too few to make it a credible issue. A rope to chain splice is primarily used for what it says...rope to chain...so the connection will feed though a windless without jambing. Some anchors have a ring but most have a small attachment hole which is purpose built for steel shackles and the holes aren't rounded. Splicing (if you could get the rope though the hole) would be riding on a sharp radius edge. Otherwise you would splice to a shackle. I would never splice to an anchor anyway because I like to change anchors for local conditions.

bp