Man O War Spar marine spar varnish? Yellow!

wmgraphics

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone used this product before. I was told that it was great stuff to clear coat a boat with. Well i applied it to me boat (gloss paint of dark grey and white) and the white sections now have a yellow tint to them and even worse looking where it sprayed out a bit heavy. It looks really bad, so I called the tech help and some girl answered. It seemed as though she had no clue but she said it had to cure for 24 hours and then it would turn clear. Did she lie to me cause she really didn't seem very sure of herself. Anyone.... help I am freaking out. :eek:

Ned L

Commander
Re: Man O War Spar marine spar varnish? Yellow!

I'll have to say that is something I've not heard of before ('clearcoating' FRP with a traditional spar varnish). Typically, exterior & marine varnishes do have an amber tint or hue to them as that is what acts as the UV protection. Not really sure what to say as Man o War spar varnish is good quality stuff, but you used it pretty far outside its intended use.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have used that product, but, uh, I use it on wood . . . Like Ned I have never heard of anyone using Spar as a clearcoat over paint . . . I often hear of using automotive type clearcoat "paint", but not varnish. Varnish is almost exculsively used directly over wood and over clear epoxy on wood as the varnish provides the UV protection that clear epoxy doesn't.

I would repost this inthe Restoration section below. There are some miracle workers down there vvvvvv Dive Captain, dive . . .

wmgraphics

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I really don't know what I was thinking. I guess I thought I could uv protect the paint job and put a protective coating at the same time... I feel dumb and the varnish has cleared a bit but still has a yellow tint. Im off to buy some sandpaper.

When I do clear coat it... any suggestions?

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

I am way out of my league here, but why not a high qulaity wax twice a year?? If not, I would look at the automotive clear coats, but you may have to have a license to use (EPA requirements).