Hydraulic Steering Helm Replacement

Loafy

Recruit
I have a Teleflex Seastar 1.7 c.i. helm that will need replacing. I have a front mounted cylinder on a single 175 hp motor. Do I have to replace it with a 1.7, or can I replace this helm with a unit that has 2.0 or 2.4 c.i. displacement?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hydraulic Steering Helm Replacement

Ayuh,...

If you replace it with a higher volume helm,...
It'll turn Quicker, probably with More effort...

hroy98

Recruit

I have a 2006 G3 Angler V185dc
It has only 37 hours on it. I purchased this thing new but then broke my back thats the reason so little hours. But I took my kids out with it to run it and get it read to troll for walleyes. I got it up to running speed and hit a wave, my god it almost wiped out. I brought it to my G3 dealer, they told me it had to be bled so I told them to do it, I really don't understand why with only 37 hours it had to have this but I wanted it to be safe. I then find out that they are telling me the pump is gargage and need to be replaced because it will not allow them to bleed it. this is 500 dollars. I called G3 itself and talked to the warranty and customer service manager. I told them what I had and it only has 37 hours on it. This boat is always covered and kept in my garage.
They told me the boat is out of warranty so there is nothing they can do about it. Nothing they can do, what a load of crap, you talk about a company that does not stand behind there product.
I wanted to know if anyone knows of any way to fix this pump or from what I was told it is actually a C Star system or Sea Star system, I can't even find this company on the internet and my dealer doesn't have a number
Thanks
Roy

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

First, in response to Loafy's question. Bond-O is right. The higher the pump displacement (1.7 is cu. in.), the quicker the turns lock-to-lock, but the higher the effort. 2.4s are typically used in high HP, multiple engine setups, so I would stick to the 1.7 or 2.0...

Now, hroy. Here's is the install manual that tells you how to bleed the system...http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/296784-AO.pdf

The instructions for bleeding the system are towards the back. Now, you can have your helm pump rebuilt at far less cost than a new one, if indeed it does need rebuilding. It sounds as if your dealer is failing you, you need to find a good reputable dealer in your area that is well versed in Teleflex Seastar systems...

bulldogdaddy

Recruit

i was told they have a vaccum unit that wil bleed the seastar system