How to Remove Steering wheel cable in console

b1ak

Recruit
Takin the steering wheel off the console, to refinish the console. Got the wheel off & hub loose from the console, but I need to actually disconnect the cable from the gearbox itself (so I can pull the cable thru the hole in the console to separate the console from the steering cable gearbox. This is a 1985 bass tracker with 25 merc same vintage. I loosened the large nut holding the cable going into the gearbox but can only pull the cable out about a foot & it stops coming out. It is a wormgear type flexible cable...probably the most common type of single=cable steering. The cable just makes a 180 degree turn inside the gearbox & the excess goes out the end into a plastic tube. Took that off too & still baffled how to remove this "wormgear cable" from the gearbox. Do i need to take the gearbox apart? If i need to remove cable and pull it thru all the way from the motor would be more of a job, since it is routed thru foam-filled compartments...i have a feeling there is a simple way to remove from gearbox in the console. I have the console out already...just don't know what to do next & dont want to take the gearbox apart in case there are some "boingy-things" that spring out in there...

reelfishin

Captain
Re: How to Remove Steering wheel cable in console

I've not yet found a rotary type box or cable which had to come apart to get the cable out. I normally just unscrew the nut and turn the cable out with the steering wheel. I have had a few in which the end of the cable got stuck while returning through the far side of the box, but nothing major. Just rock the wheel or help it a bit. Usually the hard part on most center consoles is getting the cable routed under the deck. The last one I did had the cable foamed right in place.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Takin the steering wheel off the console, to refinish the console. Got the wheel off & hub loose from the console, but I need to actually disconnect the cable from the gearbox itself (so I can pull the cable thru the hole in the console to separate the console from the steering cable gearbox. This is a 1985 bass tracker with 25 merc same vintage. I loosened the large nut holding the cable going into the gearbox but can only pull the cable out about a foot & it stops coming out. It is a wormgear type flexible cable...probably the most common type of single=cable steering. The cable just makes a 180 degree turn inside the gearbox & the excess goes out the end into a plastic tube. Took that off too & still baffled how to remove this "wormgear cable" from the gearbox. Do i need to take the gearbox apart? If i need to remove cable and pull it thru all the way from the motor would be more of a job, since it is routed thru foam-filled compartments...i have a feeling there is a simple way to remove from gearbox in the console. I have the console out already...just don't know what to do next & dont want to take the gearbox apart in case there are some "boingy-things" that spring out in there...

I love it !!! Boingey-Things...Excellent! thats about the best description ive come across...Just rock the wheel,dont take anything apart,it will be like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube,pull the cable with one hand while you turn the wheel,use vice grips to grab the SW shaft,tape the teeth of vice grips as to not damage the threads.

b1ak

Recruit

Thank you guys for your advice. I did just what both of you suggested & the auger cable came right thru the resistance. No "Boingy things" needed to spring out!! Thanks again from this "Big Dumb Norwegian DeerHunter in Wisconsin".

HelloMate

Recruit

Recently was given a 21 foot Pontoon boat with Mercury 65 on the back. Trying to remove console to replace old carpet. However having problems removing the steering cable. On the back of the steering wheel under the console there is a gear box that the cable hooks up to. There was a piece of paper that said to remove the cable, pull the cotter looking pin from the housing and push into hole on side of cable connecting bracket.

I did that and the cable did in fact come loose, however inside the cable was an inner cable worm gear type of cable that went/goes up into the gear box. it apears to wrap around the steering shaft inside the cable box. After releasing the outter cable it now slides up and down the worm gear cable which I cannot figure out how to get loose. Any ideas as to how to remove this cable? When I turn the steering wheel, this cable goes in and out depending on the direction of the turn and ultimately turns the motor.

Would appreciate any knowledge of how to get this disconnected.

I tried pulling on it but it did not budge.