The grey area when your boat gets stolen !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nandy

Commander
Re: The grey area when your boat gets stolen !!!

I have progressive. I totaled a 2005 4Runner last spring. I have had the vehicle less than a year. They solve the matter in less than 3 weeks, gave me a check, call me a week later and give me another check because they made a mistake calculating the taxes. The adjuster was very easy to deal with and he drove above 2 hours to check my vehicle. They did raised my premium in the new contract, a whooping 8 dollars... I think they had to pay around 18k total between me and the bank. I never got any request of any sort other that explain my accident.

Good Luck, keep us posted...

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bigfish.....I am sure that you lawyer sent everything certified (Probably common sense to him/her). I know that when we are trying to collect money from people who do not want to pay their bills we send everything certified with a return receipt. It costs a little more (a couple of dollars) but in the end you know when they got it, who signed for it, and you have a legal document right in your hand. If you just send it postal mail.......who knows who got it, they will deny they ever got it, and you have nothing to back yourself up on when you hit the courtroom.

As for contacting the gov't. It can help, but do not expect a fast result on their end. I had a similar problem with a company whom I paid for a service and they were not holding up their end of the bargain. I was a poor college kid and my only way of fixing it was to contact the gov't. Slow to reposnd...took about 3 months to resolve, but it did finally get there. It cannot hurt at this point to call them.

I would definitely call the lein holder and find out what they think. That would have been one of the very first calls I made. They have a vested interest in this property, and if they cannot get their money back out of it......all heck will break loose. I would be interested to hear what they have to say.

bigfish17

Seaman

Unfortunately no...

We've been waiting for their response after we sent that letter. My attorney called last Tuesday and they said they were going to be finishing their investigation by last Friday. So we waited until Monday this week and nothing...

So he called yesterday and they said they wanted to take "another" recorded statement. I told my attorney that they already did this for me as well as my fiancee and he called them back to ask them why they need another one.

They haven't got back to him yet. We have to chase them down to even get them to talk to us or get any kind of definite answer as to what the hell is going on.

I'm completely disgusted with this company and the way they're handling this. I don't know how much longer I can wait...

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Patience.... They are trying to beat you down so when they make an offer you may be tempted to immediately take it. Your experience with Progressive sounds incredibly similar to mine, if it continues in a similar manner, you now need to prepare yourslef for a low ball offer. Stand firm, do not accept or agree to anything until your attorney reviews it. BTW, it is time to raise the acting in bad faith issue again. This puts Progressive on the hook for your legal expenses and more for the anguish you have endured. Juries do not take kindly to this type of service. Progressive will understand the term "bad faith" very well. I'd ask your attorney if he was interested in pursuing this action on a contingency basis (not your current issue, but a seperate law suit). If not, see if he could recommend someone who would. ESPECIALLY if the first settlement offer is far below what they are contractually obligated to by your policy.

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would agree with lkbum here. It may just be time to file this in court and get it started. They have now had plenty of time for a resolution in this case and it sounds to me like they are still beating you up for a low ball offer. Have you contacted the Lien holder on this? If you did how have they responded to a piece of property they have a right to being worth zip while the insurance company is "figuring" this out?

bigfish17

Seaman

We contacted the bank (lien holder) and they pretty much said that they deal with me and have nothing to do with the insurance co. So...iow, they blew me off.

My attorney said to comply with what they're asking so expedite the process. I just don't know how much longer this is going to take...it seems they're trying to find any way out or a loophole to get out of paying. I can't imagine why they want another recorded statement.

I have an "agreed upon value" for 99k so that's what they should be paying me. I suppose that's why they're dragging their feet...

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

What they are looking for is inconsistancies or contradictions from your previous statement. If a statement has been made that is fraudulent or speculative, it will change over time... They will ask similar questions, but probably in a different context... Be truthful, don't speculate and don't offer anymore explanation than necessary, you'll be fine.

TilliamWe

Banned

I agree with lkbum on the statement part. If you truly had nothing to do with the boat's theft, your story will stay remarkably the same. If you did, your story will change, and that's why they want a second statement.

bigfish17

Seaman

I obviously had nothing to do with it and I can't even imagine them having any suspicion without concrete proof. Also, if I had something to do with it I would've had the thug cut it into small pieces so there would've never been any doubt as to whether it was a total loss or was going to be repaired.

It seems now that it appears to be a total loss they're in no hurry to pay the claim and are looking for bogus ways to find anything they can. I think it's shameful the way they operate...

I've never had a claim before in my life and all my bills are paid to date. I have a family and are a law abiding citzen. What are they gonna try next, pay a guy a couple of bucks to say I had him steal it...

IsoIsolated

Recruit

dude.. read the whole scenario.. my thoughts are with you

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Bigfish,

I think what they are doing is everything within reason to make you happy with their settlement offer (make you thankful to get it over with). I would be willing to bet, they could show they consistantly perform the steps they do and have written procedures on what they do. This is how they avoid "bad faith" judgements; they follow their own procedures consistently. Maybe this is why your experience is so similar to my experience, even though the loss was 33 times different (they made the same accusations and drug their feet on my $3000 loss). Don't panic, let it play out. Wait on them to make their offer, ask your attorney if it is what is owed, if not..... you may want to nail em for the aggravation. But in the mean time, be patient, and don't panic. You have no reason to.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

good luck, i hope everything works out

i have state farm and they have been good to me.

no problems with any of my claims.
but i also live in a smaller town.

bigfish17

Seaman

Thanks Ikbum...here's the latest...

I just received a certified letter from them tonight. It says that they are acting under "reservation of rights" and they blame me for not co-operating with them. Probably because my lawyer didn't give them the tax returns and bank records, except now they want credit card records as well for 6 months !

So now I have to give them all this paperwork which is really insane. I have to let my attorney know about this tomorrow...

It's never going to end...

fishrdan

Admiral

And what would your credit card history have to do with the boat being stolen :confused: Sounds like they are continuing their fishing expedition...

Next they are going to request a stool sample :rolleyes:

(EDIT: on second thoughts,,, maybe you should voluntarily contribute that :D)

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Like the other posters following your saga, I'm sorry you're going through this... We will be interested to see what your attorneys response is. Be cautious that you don't fall into the trap of spending more time fighting over what you are willing to give them. If it ends up in court, they will probably get what they are asking for anyway... Stay the course and let it play out. I think this has been going on for a month or so.... You've probably got 1 to 3 months to go before it's settled, provided it stays out of court, that's just an opinion on the time...

D

DJ

They want records because they are looking for "spikes" in income and/or expenditures.

It wouldn't be the first time someone had something stolen only to have the proceeds land back in their pocket.

I'm not accusing but their is a lot of fraud going on out there, especially now, on "recreational" products.

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can completely agree with DJ on this matter. There was an article in the local paper today where some guy had his motorhome stolen and parted out only later to find he was the one who had arranged it all. The insurance company has all rights to protect itself when it comes to paying out claims.

With that said, the insurance company also has an obligation to person or persons who are paying the premium on the item being insured. They could have resolved this whole issue by paying out the due reimbursement and then continuing their investigation. Like I stated earlier.....my wife has worked in the insurance industry for years and they had a gentleman who burned down his house, the police called it arson, they paid the claim, then made their case and went after the insured. I am sure he thought he had gotten away with it all when one day they knocked on his door and arrested him. He got 20 years in prison, his girlfriend is still living the in repaired house with his daughter.

I agree that it sucks you are going through this. Patience is tough to have when you are being treated like you are guilty from the start. I believe it would be easier on your end to have the insurance company pay you....let you know they are investigating this and your help will be necessary and contractually obligated. This would still allow them to do their work and have the customer taken care of. Best of luck.

bigfish17

Seaman

I can completely agree with DJ on this matter. There was an article in the local paper today where some guy had his motorhome stolen and parted out only later to find he was the one who had arranged it all. The insurance company has all rights to protect itself when it comes to paying out claims.

With that said, the insurance company also has an obligation to person or persons who are paying the premium on the item being insured. They could have resolved this whole issue by paying out the due reimbursement and then continuing their investigation. Like I stated earlier.....my wife has worked in the insurance industry for years and they had a gentleman who burned down his house, the police called it arson, they paid the claim, then made their case and went after the insured. I am sure he thought he had gotten away with it all when one day they knocked on his door and arrested him. He got 20 years in prison, his girlfriend is still living the in repaired house with his daughter.

I agree that it sucks you are going through this. Patience is tough to have when you are being treated like you are guilty from the start. I believe it would be easier on your end to have the insurance company pay you....let you know they are investigating this and your help will be necessary and contractually obligated. This would still allow them to do their work and have the customer taken care of. Best of luck.

I understand and it's unfortunate that because of a few bad people the rest of us have to be treated like we're guilty until proven innocent, which is the case here.

I have no problem co-operating as I have nothing to hide. I just wish they weren't taking so long and would've asked me for all these things 2 weeks after the claim. Why 8 weeks later ?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just a suggestion - let them examine hat they want to examine in your attorney's office, but don't let them make copies of anything. Basically all you are doing is to remove any argument that they might make, but you are not compromising your privacy by losing control of your personal information.

Status
Not open for further replies.