• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bilge Pump Debris Protection

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge Pump Debris Protection

I'm need to figure out a good way to keep debris out of my bilge pumps. The tree in my back yard sheds small seeds that find their way into my boat and then wash down into the bilge. These seeds are the perfect size to jam in the bilge pump's impeller, as I have seen before at the most inopportune time.

One idea was putting the pump into a women's nylon stocking, but I think it will reduce flow. Also thought of using a swamp cooler pump "basket" to filter the water,

but stuff could get over the top of the basket.

What do you guys use?
    2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
    2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Re: Bilge Pump Debris Protection

put a cover on the boat when stored.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

How about getting some aluminum mesh from Mcmaster-Carr with an opening width slightly smaller than the seeds. Wrap it around the bilge pump with some nylon cable ties.

Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

12 x 20 blue tarp - $15.00....10 bungie cords - $ 12.00..Results = priceless
        Nec aspera terrent

Comment

agree with the cover but i've seen some rather rednecked buddies use window screen wrapped around the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by salty87 View Post
            agree with the cover but i've seen some rather rednecked buddies use window screen wrapped around the pump.
            Ditto - beat me to the punch.
            By the way, I resemble that remark!
            sigpic
            Nothing is so broken that Government can't make it worse.

Comment

Down here we can get brass/bronze window screens for salty environments. You can also get a plastic or fiberglass screen material, but don't know how well it would hold up with pretty much constant contact with water.

You may want to build a little cage around the pump so that it takes more material to clog the pump. Make sure you pump can run dry, if not the screen is going to eventually block the flow and you are going to ruin your pump unless the screen is monitored for buildup

Comment

The boat is covered 99% of the time while parked, but there are times when the boat can't be covered, working on it, loading, drying out after being soaked, etc. .. this is when the seeds blow into the boat.

Thought of the window screen too, guess it will work if I can't find something that will work better.

Comment

I glue a round closed cell outer pre-filter to the bilge floor. The type used over a paper filter on a shop-vac or riding mower to keep the large debris out.

Comment

how about a chain saw? cut down the tree!
                    problem solved!!

woosterken
                    woosterken
                    '74 MFG gypsy
                    '95 F150 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by woosterken View Post
                      how about a chain saw? cut down the tree!
                      problem solved!!

woosterken
                      I knew someone was going to suggest that,,, or sweep all the seeds off the roof of the house,,, daily

Comment

Working...
                      X