How to remove shoe scuffs from deck?

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Unfortunately, I had someone walk all over the deck on my bow (03 Four Winns 268 Vista) and he had these rubber soled shoes that left black rubber scuffs on the surface.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove? I've tried scrubbing with regular boat wash and only a little comes off. Even after repeated attempts there's still some that remains.

I'm sure there's a chemical or cleaner that would work but I wanted to ask you all for your experienced advice.

Thank you all in advance.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: How to remove shoe scuffs from deck?

That Magic Eraser is pretty incredible, it is a small white "sponge" that will get off alot of stains, if that doesn't work try some finish compound, you cna get them at the grocery store in the cleaning isle.

Always best to start with the weakest thing and move up till you get it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we use to use mineral spirts to get them off hard wood floors. maybe goof off.

mthieme

Captain

Ask MD DNR.
Three of them checked me Labor Day Sunday. They were all wiring combat boots! (along with BDU's, ALICE gear...everything but the kevlar helmet!). As an afterthought, I should have asked them what they used. I'm thinking a sander!:D

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Softscrub and one of those green scruff pads. Let it sit and start scrubbing. Ike

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your input so far. I'd like to try some of the suggestions but was wondering if softscrub is too abrasive? I know it's not supposed to be, but I read that you shouldn't use it? I'm not sure.

But I'll try it and also the magic eraser (and even the mineral spirits). I'm thinking of using the least abrasive and work my way up if it doesn't work.

Thanks again and I'll give it a try shortly!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Soft Scrub will be fine but I don't think the green scratch pads are!! My dad ruined a couple shower stalls that way.

vess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hull cleaner (oxalic acid wash) also works well. Remember to wax it again after you clear the scuffs off. And wear gloves. I use a nylon pot scrubber to lightly work it in, being careful not to scratch the finish.
Softscrub should also work- just do a small spot first to see how it comes off.

StoutMann

Cadet

Haven't had a scuff mark yet that a magic eraser didn't take off completely in a couple of seconds. Just make sure you wet the eraser first.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

do not be afaraid of scratching the gellcoat.......just get in there with whatever and getter done..

if you scratch the gellcoat...so what?
....gellcoat repairs are easy.....just a little sanding and buffing....

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Softscrub and green scruffy". They come in many "grit" types. I would use one in the very very fine family, synthetic, not steel wool type. It is very fine and would not even abrade skin much less the gelcoat. Ike

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Hey all, just wanted to give you all an update as Magic Eraser is awesome!

I tried it and it took it right out. I also used it on some vinyl seating on the inside that took off scuff marks also (we had kids running round down there....) but that stuff is great and it takes everything out!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey all, just wanted to give you all an update as Magic Eraser is awesome!

I tried it and it took it right out. I also used it on some vinyl seating on the inside that took off scuff marks also (we had kids running round down there....) but that stuff is great and it takes everything out!

Its the best boat cleaning product to come along in years, keep them on top of the cleaning kit.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bar Keeper's Friend and a scrub brush works wonders on spots and stains regular boat wash will not work on. My neighbor introduced me to it. His boat is 8 years old and still as white and shines like the day it was new.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be careful using abrasive cleaners on older gelcoat,alot of the products meant for household use are too abrasive for boats,over the years if the boat has been compounded alot, the gel can be worn down to less than 2 mil's thick and using abrasive scrubs or cleaners can, and will ,remove the final layers of gel,always try the least abrasive method prior to going with the most abrasive.