• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winterizing with pink RV antifreeze. How good is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing with pink RV antifreeze. How good is it?

Well, winter came up on me kind unexpected.( Golly, who knew it would happen ever year. ) So I went out the other day before the first time it got down to 20 degrees and I drew/sucked pink RV antifreeze through my 1973 mercruiser 140.

This is my second year of owning a boat. Last year I was very methodical about winterizing. I drew pink antifreeze from the bottom, then dumped green antifreeze in from the top, then pulled the hoses and drain plugs. I did this early on in the season.

This year I got busy and waited. After all , Indian summer often comes and I thought I might a chance to take her out again.

I've heard that the pink antifreeze will get slushy and still could have the potential to crack the engine.

My question is: How long can I wait, how cold can it get, before I need to dump green in from the top and pull the drain plugs?

After all , I might be able to take her out again! Can I wait for December to dump in green and pull the drain plugs? How about the lower end oil. I really doubt if there is any water in there. Can I wait a few more weeks before I drain and replace it?

Sorry, if this is confusing. I'm not a very good typist/writer.

Re: Winterizing with pink RV antifreeze. How good is it?

Air can't freeze.

Just drain it and leave it dry. I usually drain all the water then just dump the pink stuff in for a little extra assurance.

I think you are making it harder than you really need to.
    RJP
    2004 Four Winns 180 Freedom, 150 HP Evinrude Direct Injection
    1974 Winner 280 Cruiser, t-302 225HP V-drives
    2002 Gheenoe 13', 5HP Nissan 2 stroke
    1981 Four Winns Marquise 180 Cuddy, Mercruiser 165HP I6 -- PROJECT

Comment

I know you are not suppose to use the green stuff at all if you forget to take it out and get to the lake here it a a really steep fee thousands just use the pink stuff. and as far as air does not freeze that is crap you could pull all the drain plugs and let everything out and I would bet paycheck there is still water in there that can feeze and enough to crack the block. I learned that the hard way and hey it is ok to make alot out of this I think that not winterizing a boat is one of the most expensive mistakes boaters make it is also the least expensive maintence to do.

Comment

We use the pink stuff to winterize the drains in the fishing lodge I work for north of the arctic circle. Drain the block and pour some pink stuff in and you'll be fine. If it works at -70F in the arctic it will work where ever you are.

As for the lower unit, pull the bottom plug and let a bit run out and replace the plug. If the oil is grey/whiteish you have water in there. Replace the oil now if this is the case or you will likely crack the LU. If it is brown/black/dark grey no water and you can wait.

Comment

Winterizing questions

I just bought my first cabin cruiser and for days I have been reading and learning about the many different systems in the boat, a Bayliner 2455. Previous owner kept antifreeze in the fresh water tank becuase he never used it. Is it safe to flush this tank with freah water, doing this severl time in hopes of ridding the tank of the toxic antifreeze, then use it on a cruise on a nearby lake.

Its been a few years since anyone posted to this thread, so, this message may go without notice by anyone who is knowledgeable about cabin cruisers.

If someone reads this, what is a safe antifreeze to use in the fresh water systems onboard?

Comment

Re: Winterizing questions

Originally posted by Paul Bud View Post
            I just bought my first cabin cruiser and for days I have been reading and learning about the many different systems in the boat, a Bayliner 2455. Previous owner kept antifreeze in the fresh water tank becuase he never used it. Is it safe to flush this tank with freah water, doing this severl time in hopes of ridding the tank of the toxic antifreeze, then use it on a cruise on a nearby lake.

Its been a few years since anyone posted to this thread, so, this message may go without notice by anyone who is knowledgeable about cabin cruisers.

If someone reads this, what is a safe antifreeze to use in the fresh water systems onboard?
            the same pink rv anti-freeze you use in a rv
            sigpic
            Women are Angels.

Comment

Some RV antifreeze is OK to drink albeit not pleasant tasting. Check Camping World or even WalMart.
              http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-gallon/30243

Comment

As far as I know it works just fine. Going to be using it in the trailer shortly. Have always used it at the cottage with no issues. Gets pretty cold up there too !!!
                sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

Re: Winterizing questions

The pink RV antifreeze is what you want. We've used it for years in our motorhome and summer home on Cape Cod. It is non-toxic and made for potable water systems. Just take a look on the label and you will see that it says it is non-toxic. It's good down to at lest -45 or so. I've never had an issue even during the worst of New England winters.
                  2011 Stingray 215LR - clocked at 55.2 mph
                  2010 Ford Sport Trac V-8 Tow Vehicle

Comment

If it gets cold enough, the pink stuff will slush but it won't expand. Expansion is what damages things.

Comment

Well, I learned something here, "the pink antifreeze is safe and made for RV's". Thanks for the help.

Comment

FYI, if you don't care about the environment (face it, some don't), then you can use the green stuff. You can even reuse it providing you check its strength with the appropriate instruments.

Comment

and as far as air does not freeze that is crap you could pull all the drain plugs and let everything out and I would bet paycheck there is still water in there that can feeze and enough to crack the block.
                          Ayuh,... Now That's Bullship... I'll take yer Paycheck...
                          Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Six drain plugs out, lower hose off. No water left, no freezing, no worries.
                            90 Carver Montego 21.5 (23') "Lady Minna" (yes a name change in honor of our fallen Labrador. Poseidon understands.)

In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:
                            "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                            arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
                            in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
                            and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Comment

Well, I learned something here, "the pink antifreeze is safe and made for RV's". Thanks for the help.
                              Be aware, I have seen pink ethylene glycol anti-freeze. In fact, a friend of mine lost his kidneys because the handyman that winterized his cabin thought that all pink anti-freeze was safe.

RV anti-freeze, and some automotive anti-freeze is based on propylene glycol, which is low enough in toxicity to be on the GRAS list. (Generally recognized as safe.) It is used in food. It is the reason home made ice cream is rock hard at freezer temps, and commercial ice cream is scoopable. It can be used as a nutrient. In cattle with digestive system trouble, it is used by the quart to keep blood sugar up and ketosis down without further compromising the digestive system with glucose. Getting Bessy to swallow the stuff is the hard part. (been there, done that.) (Warning, use medical grade propylene glycol for this, not RV anti-freeze.)

Comment

Working...
                              X