Drum Cable Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanksmydog

Seaman Apprentice
I need to know how to install the cable and tension springs on a Exposed Drum Steering setup. If possible I need pics or diagrams...Please help. :confused:

pduquette

Ensign
Re: Drum Cable Steering

Check the FAQ section - Spinnerbait nut made a great tutorial already:)

Tanksmydog

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, that helps but I really could use some pictures and diagrams of this AND how the tension springs are to be hooked up. Thanks:confused:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Are your pulleys and springs in place already, or are you replacing/installing new ones? If you have everything in place but need to replace the cable, do this: get your outboard on the transom where you want it, with the cable steering adapter/hook-up in place. Follow the guide in the FAQ for installing new cable on the steering drum. Re-install the drum on the dash and run each cable down its side of the boat, routing it through the pulleys. At the back/transom, route the cable out each side to the outboard and over the pulley on the steering adapter. Run the end of each cable through the end/loop of each tensioner spring. Pull tight until the spring stretches a little. Clamp the cable tight so it won't slacken. Use cable clamps to secure the cable to itself. Loop any excess cable together and use a cable-tie to keep it secured and out of the way. This works for boats where the cables are routed down/through each gunwhale, not systems where both cables are routed together down one gunwhale. If this is clear as mud, you might ask over on the AOMCI's Ask A Member board, www.aomci.org, as they do this stuff everyday. You will periodically have to check and retension your cables...I check mine every time before I take the boat out as part of its routine maintenance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OK, i wrote the FAQ, need to know some things first. are your cable going to run down both sides of the boat, you are they both running down one side. i have diagrams and pictures to help you, but don't want to confuse you. it really is a very simple install, if you do not over think it.

Tanksmydog

Seaman Apprentice

Tashadaddy...Thanks for all your help in the past several weeks. You have made things a lot easier. Anyways...The cables go on each side of the boat. I have a 14 Ft fiberglass that has drum steering.

tashasdaddy

follow the drum winding directions. the hardest part. then follow diagram, when you get to the stern go thur the bulkhead pulley, then to the motor connector, and back thry the spring, pull the cable back out to where you can clamp it the the last run of the cable going to the spring. after you get it together, then, i use vice grips, and grab the end of cable, loosen clamp and put tension of the cables, thighten, then do the other side. the trip to this type steering working is keeping tension on the cable, if it gets sloppy, it will slip off the drum, and leave you with out steering. and is a real PITA, to try to get rewound out on the water.

cablepulleybothsides001.jpg

cablesteeringsetup004-1.jpg

cablesteeringsetup003-1.jpg

cablesteeringsetup002-1.jpg

cablesteeringsetup001-1.jpg

MVC-324S.jpg

Tanksmydog

Seaman Apprentice

So do I cut the cable in the middle and feed it into the slot on the drum?

tashasdaddy

no you never cut the cable, until finished. you start at the drum, thead the cable thru the drum, till you get 1/2 way, now you wrap the drum, the way the directions tell you, then use the duct tape to hold cable on drum. now take the appropriate end of the cable and feed it thur the pulleys, back to the motor, follow arrows or diagram. once you have finished and tested the system, cut the ends of the cable about 3 inches past the clamps.

pduquette

Ensign

:redface:Sorry T.D. about the mixup on the cudo's!:redface:
I clicked over to FAQ and saw SBN 's handle and went back to start answering the thread.:)
I looked at your pictures and see i got mine done wrong:confused: --another project to do :rolleyes:

NZjohnson90

Seaman

Ok I know this is an old thread but I just started reading and it set off some alarm bells.

I a rope steering system which 1 day when I get enough cash would like top update to morse cable but for now it has to stay.

I have a 14ft Glastron with a 90hp V4 Johnson which I spent all last summer slowly getting back to ready for the water.

1st question
The system originally had 5mm starter rope on it and in the interests of safety thought I would replace it. Went to the hardware store and got the strongest non stretch rope they had which was the same pull start rope.

The boat has not yet had its maiden voyage (after being restored) and after reading this thread Im worried I need to use steel cable as you have?

2nd question
What kinda HP can this system handle? My parents used to have a boat with an old red band merc 80hp and rope steering (with rope not steel cable if i remember correct) about 20 years ago and we never had any problems with the steering. But every marine shop I go into seems to say ooooh rope systems are dangerous, you should upgrade to morse type.

Are they just trying to sell me expensive steering or are they right?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yes they are trying to sell you an upgrade...but plastic/vinyl coated cable is superior to rope...you should at least consider that much of an upgrade for safety's sake.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Second that on the steel cable. Home Depot stuff works just fine. I'll put in my usual disclaimer here: A wire rope/pulley system is safe IF it is maintained properly. Check all pulleys, fittings, nut/bolts and clamps regularly and replace any worn parts if needed.

NZjohnson90

Seaman

Thanks guys, just got on ebay and bought 12 meters of plastic coated stainless rope that was used for stays for a yacht mast $10. Picking it up tonight so will see if we can be up n running tomorrow. It is 6mm but is 9mm including the plastic, so fingers crossed it fits, and flexes around the drum, It looks like it should.

I went over all the pulleys, springs, etc etc. All look good, everything is stainless and everything is bolted securely, no screws etc.

1 final question. I have seen on some diagrams the rope doubled back at the stern so it goes through 3 sets of pulleys instead of 2 (2 sets inside the boat, and 1 set on the engine) with the springs mounted on the engine and not the hull. Is this necessary? for a 90hp.

Hopefully I'll get some pics up of the finished boat soon.

jdmeind

Recruit

no you never cut the cable, until finished. you start at the drum, thead the cable thru the drum, till you get 1/2 way, now you wrap the drum, the way the directions tell you, then use the duct tape to hold cable on drum. now take the appropriate end of the cable and feed it thur the pulleys, back to the motor, follow arrows or diagram. once you have finished and tested the system, cut the ends of the cable about 3 inches past the clamps.

thks for mentioning NOT to cut the cable..
messkit

Ned L

Commander

As a reminder for people reading just this thread, - remember, ALL the turning point & termination hardware (pulleys, & end 'eye's') need to be through bolted & not secured with just screws. If something pulls out, things turn bad REAL fast. (At high speed the engine will immediately flop over to one side & throw the boat into an uncontrollable circling spin.)
I'm not at all against cable steering, just install it well.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Correct...that's the first thing you need to check if you are going to use or refit a cable/pulley steering system...make sure all the anchor points are not screwed down, should be bolted and secure.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm glad someone re-started this thread. I just ordered a used helm set from ebay, this is a job I'll be tackeling real soon!

My question concerns the pulley bracket at the engine. The parts manuel for my engine shows the bracket going under the 'chin' of the engine, just ahead of the air silencer hole. There is a bolt hole under there, but it came with a bracket to mount to the 'handle'. On the back of the 'handle' on each side of the bolt hole there are tabs that keep a bolt head or nut from fitting flush to the 'handle'. The pic is kinda fuzzy but you can see the tabs. Anybody know something here :confused: Saw 'em off and use a grade 8??

And for the eagle eyes out there, the transom clamp bolt is out for a reason, to be returned later today :D

Attachments

• boatsteermount 001.jpg
    boatsteermount 001.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 6
  • boatsteermount 002.jpg
    boatsteermount 002.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 5
  • boatsteermount 003.jpg
    boatsteermount 003.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.