Teak oil or Varnish ???

Boat of Us

Seaman
Hi guys<br /> <br />I'm planning on installing White Oak(exterior) on my boat also Teak Railings. <br /><br />What would be best as a finish, <br />Teak oil or Varnish? :rolleyes: <br /><br />I understand that uncared teak becomes grey. So I do intend to maintain the wood. And Varnish, well, lots of sanding and coats involved.....<br /><br />I would appreciate your opinions<br />Thanks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Teak oil or Varnish ???

Varnish requires a tremendous amount of effort and has to be redone almost every year.Teak oil is easy enough but needs to be oiled about once every two weeks to keepit good looking.And will have to be totally cleaned and reoiled every year.I have tried them all and have been happiest with Sikens Cetol.It lasts and looks good.I have had it on for 3 years now and I have only had to brush on an extra coat once.It is by far the most durable finish I have ever used. Charlie

magster65

Commander

I'll second what cc says. I owned an all mahogany / teak Chris Craft and an oil is the best way to go without a doubt. Sikens is one of the better products.

Boat of Us

Seaman

Ok, if I go with varnish, is Sikkens the one to go with or does Interlux have a good one also?<br /><br />Thanks

whopper jr

Cadet

I us a product on teak called teak guard it holds up very well, looks great and lasts like iron. On the areas of the boat that are exposed to the wheather i only have to touch it up now and again, in the nonexposed areas im on my third season and looks as good as when i put it on. the reason teak turns gray is the oil in the wood oxidizes the black streaks are mold... varish looks great, but as soon as its chiped and water gets behind it your finish is ruined. teak oil looks great also, if you want to oil your life away. The teak guard does not seal the wood it is a sun block for the wood so it does not oxidize, and if it gets wet no problem when it dries it looks as good as before...look it up on the web. i've used it on my owen boats for over five years now and i love the stuff. I've put it on friends boats and they cant beleive how good it looks and lasts....try it you'll like it.... peace..

jfc092

Seaman

I'm curious, has anyone tried using boiled linseed oil on teak and had good results. For the price of a quart of teak oil you can buy a gallon of boiled linseed oil.