1979 Alumaweld 16' Flatbottom w/60 hp Mariner

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
How would you guys rank a 1979 16' Flatbottom with center console and 60 hp Mariner outboard,for lake fishing in Arizona.Mostly Roosevelt and San Carlos lake.Mostly crappie fishing and catfish.My buddies all love bass fishing,but they just troll all around,ruins my slip bobber set ups.I like casting lures from time to time,but until the trolling motor battery goes dead,NOT ME.So, I'm getting a small boat next weekend,and guess what,they can only get in when thier batteries are dead.LOL.I go to the river end for flatheads,so there is some shallow water to be had,but not to much.Mostly resavoirs about 200 foot deep.Just wondering about the flat bottom,never owned one before.

scipper77

Commander
Re: 1979 Alumaweld 16' Flatbottom w/60 hp Mariner

A 16 foot flat bottom in 200 feet of water sounds like trouble. I'm on lake Ontario and and my 17' fiber glass v-hull gets it's butt kicked if the waves pick up.

How rough does the water get over there? I would think that two to three foot waves would be the max that that boat could handle.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think this would fit better in the Boat Forum. This one is about tackle and techniques.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tool around those lakes in a little 12? v-bottom aluminum without much issue. I only have a 5 hp engine, so I can?t explore a heck of a lot the lake but I get around just fine.

In my opinion, this would be a great boat for the lakes, especially Roosevelt and San Carlos (Bartlett, Canyon, Saguaro, Alamo and Horseshoe as well). The motor will get you around the lake and the size of the boat is large enough to allow you and a couple buddies to fish comfortably. I friend of mine Dad?s boat is a 90?s 16ft flat bottom with a 45 hp ? he has no problems on those lakes and the couple of times we?ve been out we have not either. The center console will make it easy to move about and the flat bottom will be nice when it comes to the flats where the crappie spawn.

If you are getting a good price on it, the condition is good and everything else checks out ? go for it.

Winter feed should be starting soon ? see you out there!

scipper77

Commander

Well I would like to recind my earlyer words of caution. I'm comparing you're lake that I'm not familiar with to lake ontario. Sounds like the boat is a good buy.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info guys.But guess what.I found a guy here in town that had a 1991 V17 Bass Tracker all set up and wanted some guns,so I got rid of mine.Boat is great.I'm gunnless now,But with my prostetic legs they were'nt doing me any good anyways.Great trade I think.By the way Azminer,We are catching 15 1/2 to 17 inch crappies up at San Carlos right now.Will be there again next weekend.Center of the dam,center cement rocket,tie to the cable,you will catch as many as you got minnows.slip bobber and size 6 eagle Claw Aberdeen hook.at 12 feet.By see ya there.Just look for the 17 foot bass tracker,50 Yamaha and the guy with the big smile.