Aluminum hull in saltwater???

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello! I am debating whether my 1st new should have an aluminum or fiberglass hull. I know fiberglass is better, but its also more expensive. I've already decided to go with fiberglass pretty much, but I want to make sure I'm not selling the aluminums boats short. Will aluminum boats even hold in in saltwater, say 10 or so years??? :confused:

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Aluminum hull in saltwater???

He.<br />I would say you get more boat for the buck with Alum. Some carry a 10 or 20 year hull warrenty.<br />Light weight smaller engines, easire to trailer.<br />Good maintenace and care and it will last well past the warrenty. Rainwater is far the detriment over lake or salt water. Would you buy a new convertable car and leave it in the rain withthe top down? Same effect except boats dont drain out the bottom. At least they are not suspose to.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the regular hull warranty will cover any damage from normal saltwater use?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have had both.I vote for fiberglass.It is forgiving when you dont treat it well,dont paint the bottom with the right stuff.when you hit a dock,when you screw the wrong hardware on,when you are in a marina with loads of stray current,need I go on??? Fiberglass always forgives you,even if you dont maintain it.Aluminum is a different story.You can dent it ,ding it,Paint it with the wrong paint and you have big problems,screw the wrong hardware on it and you have big problems,dock in a marina with stray current(all marinas have it) big problems.Want to burn your feet?,stand on an aluminum deck in the sun.My 2 cents Charlie

D

DJ

Big-He,<br /><br />No sweat. They work just fine. Many yachts/ships/tugs/fishing trawlers are aluminum.<br /><br />Yes, same stuff, just a bit thicker.<br />By the way, outboards and sterndrives are aluminum-too.<br /><br />You do have to watch that nothing is grounded (electrically) to the hull.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Duely noted...What do you mean by stray current? That's why I'm leaning towards fiberglass.

D

DJ

Big-HE,<br /><br />Stray current is usually 110/220 volt A/C current leaking into the water from docking facilities and /or boats with A/C electrical systems.<br /><br />It plays havoc on everything. It's usually first noticed on the zincs on the outboard or sterndrive.<br /><br />Nothing wrong with glass either. I've had both and have no preference for either over the other.<br /><br />Glass has it's own problems. Cracking, blisters, delamination, etc.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Big-He<br />I would go with aluminum unless you keep it in saltwater all the time. If you trailer it go with aluminum it will outlast Fiberglass boat. Coast Guards new 47 foot boat all Aluminum, It is a Lot faster than the old 36 uses less fuel. Hull is not painted and it is in salt water all the time. I do not know how it is where your are but out here almost every Police or Park Ranger boat is Aluminum also. Aluminum tows eaiser and your vehicle will use less fuel. You will get more speed on the water with a smaller engine. Burn less fuel most of the time. How many fiberglass boats have a 20 year hull warranty??<br /><br />My 1980 Crestliner still looks new. Every year several will ask me where I bought it thinking it is new. When I tell them 23 years old they can not belive it. Never been Painted except for the teak wood which I do ever year. The boat only spends about 3 weeks a year in salt water the rest of time in fresh water or on the trailer.<br /><br />Aluminum is lighter so in ruff water will tend to go over waves instead of thru waves more than the same design fiberglass boat. Still in big swells that is not always a bad thing I would rather go over a 10 footer than thru. Stringer are aluminum and will not rot. Out here hard to find a 20 year old fiberglass boat with good stringer and transom. <br /><br />MY opinion Aluminum is better but then I own two aluminum boats. A 1967 Klamath and a 1980 Crestliner. The 67 Klamath has rivets and leaks a little but still very sea worthy.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've had lots of both.<br /><br />Currently have two aluminum boats - one is 44 years old and doesn't leak a drop.<br /><br />I take mine in saltwater some of the time, have had no problems. The boats can dent, but they also don't chip or fade as fiberglass does.<br /><br />I prefer aluminum because it is so lightweight for trailering and requires less power to push through the water.

peterbo3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Evening Big HE,<br />I own an 18ft C/C alloy boat that spends all its time in salt water. <br />Point 1. A glass boat of the same size will generally give you a better ride due to the ability of the builder to construct a variable entry bow with a deep vee.<br />Point 2. A glass boat will be heavier with a consequent requirement to run a bigger engine, heavier trailer and larger tow vehicle.<br />Point 3. Alloy is tough providing you control electrolysis and don't let lead sinkers or hooks get down into the bilge. They will cause major corrosion problems. S/S fittings also need to attached to the hull with special jointing compounds to prevent corrosion.<br />Alloy boats can generally be painted (after etching) with quickdry auto enamel. A spray can of the same colour will cover any scratches if you are really keen.<br />Both glass & alloy have good & bad points. If you are planning on doing rough water work and you want a big solid boat then glass is the go if you can afford the rig & the fuel (Grady White build in glass). For less adventurous boating look seriously at alloy. <br />Regards,<br />Peter.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

rescue boats are aluminum because they bend and dent instead of bend and break. dents float. do a search on aluminum boats. there is a design for every purpose being sold today. a properly maintained aluminum boat is good just about forever. they are, if cosmetics don't concern you too much, about as much less on the maintainence scale as fiberglass is less than wood. the charter skippers that can afford it, up here, go with aluminum, as do a lot of the commercial fisherman.

Jim_fwt

Recruit

Looking back the past 20 years I will continue to buy alumn. over f.glass. I have to trailer my boats and leave the parked in the driveway. The rotten floors, stringers and transums require more work than I want to do.<br /> On my alumnium boats I can replace the floors or transums with a short amount of work. Yes, the glass rides better. The alumn. lasts much longer.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

12 foot aluminum riveted boat here from 1970 does not leak and easy for 1 man to handle alone. i had glass its way to heavy and harder to trailer.i run salt water 90% of the time as long as you take care of it. it will take care of you.remember to flush and wash off the boat,engine and trailer every time you take it out of salt water.

Big-HE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wash it off with boat wash or will rinsing due. What should I do if I'm on a trip away from home for two to three days fishing saltwater? Will not washing for 2 days hurt aluminum or glass the most?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Big-HE<br />If you do not wash it at all fiberglass will probably due better. The thing is no reason not to wash it. When you pull it out of the water go up the ramp to the wash station and flush motors and wash boat while motors are flushing. The Hull it self usually does just fine without washing but fitting and where water trapped between where it stary wet could corrode some. My 1980 Crestliner the hull is perfect and you could not tell it is more than a year old by looking. The Aluminum railing has a few spots where turned kinda of white where water was on top of screws into deck. Out here almost every saltwater ramp has a free wash station to flush motor and wash boat. At around 1400 to 1500 when most of the boats are coming in could be a 15 to 30 wait but that is about it.<br /><br />As someone said eariler if you plan to run into rocks and docks other boats might like to get fiberglass. Last year I went with a friend to check out boats is early summer, he was looking for a ski boat. He also did not have much money so looking at older boats and probably the worst time of the year to find a good boat but we did not find one Fiberglass boat without sevear stringer rot. I not sure if all good boats gone or if just no one take care of their boats. He did find a descent boat but not until fall. Also one dealer had a good older boat he wanted a almost new price for a 10 year old boat.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I have both aluminum and fiberglass boats, 18 foot runabouts ... <br /><br />the glass boat is sleeker, cleaner looking, and is by far the beauty queen of the two. She is a Crestliner, so she is deep and has a good bit of room, but shes heavy, a 35 horse motor doesnt move her all that well, hence the name Chugboat Annie. She can also whallop two six gallon tanks. Old John is in good shape for a 1959 motor, good compression, well maintained, but Annie is a thudboat, a heavy bottomed tough as nails sea going tank that crushes waves rather than slicing thru them. she does have a nice ride tho, chop isnt a problem with that cutter bow she has<br /><br />the aluminum boat is light enough to lift off the trailer at this point, by yours truly, of course shes sans floor and seats, but still, this is an enormous for its size deep and beamy boat that bobs on the top of waves, and its more blunted bow makes her bouncier. A weary veteran of a 25 horse motor popped her up on plane with ease and she flew along<br />(my cousin might still have that motor, hmmmm)<br />shes never been out in the ocean, but the del bay kicks up pretty bad at times, and Hydrophobia made it back time after time<br /><br />the bottom line:<br /><br />Im selling annie, keeping hydro<br /><br />aluminum wins in my book<br /><br />of course, annie will finish this season with me, and I am going to go striper hunting in the fall, so Ill get some time on the water<br /><br />but in the end, aluminum wins ... light wieght, tough, cheap to run, cheap to tow, in my opinion not as pretty to look at, but there is a utilatarian simplicity that appeals to me about aluminum ... sorta like the ugly girl with a great sense of humor, lol<br /><br />happy boating!