Smart Tabs and Waves?

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys, I have a 16 foot Crestliner angler 1600SC with a 50HP that has almost all of its weight towards the back of the boat which makes the boat very light in the bow. Moving weight around is not really a practical option.

On a recent trip to Lake Ontario where I do most of my boating I made a 1/2 hour trip into the waves. The bow would rise way up and come crashing down making the ride incredibly uncomfortable and jarring my passengers insides.

I can get on plane without too much trouble so that is not a huge concern for me. I am just wondering if these tabs will actually improve rough water rides on a 16' aluminum boat?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

rndn

Commander
Re: Smart Tabs and Waves?

Even if you put tabs onto your boat you will still be knocked around by the waves generated on Lake Ontario with a 16 foot boat. The only way to do it without getting knocked around is to go slower so you don't have enough speed to come crashing down into the waves. Better yet, I would strongly suggest you don't venture out into the lake when it's rough. My brother and I used to salmon fish all summer long in an old 14 foot Sea Nymph with an 18hp outboard on Lake Ontario. Fishing with that setup required us to pay very close attention to the waves and not try to fish when it was rough. On calm days we would go out as far as to lose sight of the shore and fish for hours. There were days when we really wanted to fish and were unable because of the waves.
Years later we had a 24 footer and although it was able to take on the waves, it still really wasn't much fun as you still get bounced around quite a bit.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Smart Tabs and Waves?

I am just wondering if these tabs will actually improve rough water rides on a 16' aluminum boat?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have a 17.5 aluminum boat with the maximum size motor on the back (115)
which makes me a little stern heavy as well.
Smart Tabs were a great improvement in handling chop and allows me to step up the speed some in slightly rougher weather without the pounding BUT there are limits of course and if you go too fast for what the conditions allow you'll take a pounding.
Still a great improvemnt and I wouldn't be without them.