Marine Head/toilet Help

highamperage

Cadet
Hello,
Well, stupid question here....I'm new to boating, and just got a boat with what appears to be a manual pump toilet. Maybe a twist and lock style?

I really don't have any idea how to use it, lol... I tried pumping it, but very little happens...certainly not flushing... I am thinking maybe it's not primed? Any ideas? (Note: my boat is moored in the water at all times)

Good thing I decided to figure it out before using it, eh? haha :p

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Marine Head/toilet Help

Sounds like a Jabsco. Make sure your inlet seacock is open. Place the switch on wet bowel and pump. You should get water coming in after about 5 pumps. To flush the toilet, put the swtich to dry bowel. Pump and watch your stuff go down. Keep pumping after the stuff is all gone to make sure you clear the pipes - hopefully into a holding tank.

If it still does not work check for kinks in the piping. If thats ok, when was the last time the toilet was overhauled. >2 years? Get the overhaul kit and replace all the rubbers. Or can can remove 6 screws on top of the pump assembly and inspect the large rectangular rubber gasket with the two flappers. The flappers must be able to seal properly in order to get suction and pump water.

Let us know what you find.....

post pics, we love pics.