Scupper Question

I have a '98 Rothbilt 18' that I bought recently. It has the ball-style scuppers on it, which seem to let in a fair amount of water. Nothing major, but I'm wondering if the flap-style scuppers would be a better fit? I'm assuming this is a fairly straightforward job to replace them - are there any disadvantages with going from the plastic cone w/ ball scuppers to the flap-style? Thanks in advance...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Scupper Question

ball style is suppose to be best, you need to move some load to the bow. the wave action causes any scupper ball or flap to move back and forth. or if it really bothers you and you are in relatively calm conditions, they make plugs for them, but remember if you get into rough water, remove the plugs.

thanks! My assumption was that the flaps were better since the newer Roths have flaps instead - as well as a drain plug...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a lot of people has complaints about scuppers. i'm lucky the one on the Chris Craft are 6 inches above the water line. but the boat sits high.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard dock talk (no credibility) that scuppers are more responsible for dock sinkings than anything else. Sorry didn't mean to take your thread into a different direction. My buddy plugs his scuppers as they are very low to the water line in the transom. I have hi mounted scuppers on port and starboard so never any problems. If three of us stand on one side of the boat I can get the scupper to take on water. It appears the determining factor is your bilge pump. Pump fails during a rain storm and the boat will sink down to the scuppers then it's all over. If your scuppers are down low and frequently take in water then your pump should be able to keep up with it and no problems. Once again failed pump in this situation and you are going down. If your scuppers take on water with no way to get it out nothing good is going to come of it. If your boat has no scuppers or plugged scuppers then you could take on a lot of rain water before a sinking with a failed pump.