Best 18-20 ft Bowrider? Need help

oldsquaw76

Seaman Apprentice
Im going to buy my first boat this winter. Ive looked at all the models, and im very confused. will a v6 in this length save that much fuel? or is the 5.0 or 5.7 better? (gonna be used mainly for skiing, and crusing) Are bayliner boats really that bad? ive been looking at crownline and rinker both seem to be pretty good boats, but you can save a ton of money with the bayliner? any other makes and models i shoudl give a look at?

thanks in advance!!!!

winenut

Seaman
Re: Best 18-20 ft Bowrider? Need help

We have a 19' 8" Monterey and LOVE it.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The subject of "starter boats" is a common one here,and whenever you compare Bayliner to anything else you will find ALOT of comments from bayliner fans, and from folks who cant stand bayliner. First off, for a beginner just starting out,buying a less expensive boat makes sense,why spend alot of money on a boat that will get abused,not intentionally,of course...its just a novice wont have the experience to properly maintain the "new" boat, 2nd, Bayliner of past,( 80's) wasn't a very good boat,it was poorly built, the powerplant wasn't known for its reliability,all in all it may turn out to be a money pit,Both of your other choices are night and day from bayliner and the prices reflect that, both Crownline & Rinker are excellent boats...as long as they were maintained properly, other good brands include SeaRay - Stingray - Cobalt - Wellcraft - Chaparral -Century - Mariah - Regal, As for power...a 6 cil. will be adiquate, sure a 5.0 will pull better, be faster....but you can do what you want with a 6. Fuel economy, shouldnt be the primary reason for a boat choice,if the first consideration is "ECONOMY" then perhaps boating isn't for you,this hobby,isn't cheap. Good Luck..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you did not say if you are looking new or used. i agree the 4.3 is minimum, you actually will not see alot of fuel difference in the 4.3 and the 5.0 due to the 5.0 not working as hard. as said if economy is what you are looking for, there ain't nuttin cheap about a boat. i am very impressed with the 2008 and 2009 Bayliners, i got to do the tests on the 2008, and Gary H NC, did the test on the 2009's.

MikDee

Banned

I think SeaSwirl, is a good reasonably priced boat, like the Bayliner, then there's Glastron, Stingray, Wellcraft, SeaRay, Regal, and Baja (if they're still in business?)

Last edited:

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 18 foot bayliner, 3.0L it works for us. (Ya, don't expect to pull 3 skiers with a loaded boat), but it works, and being a 4 cylinder, gas is not to bad. Like 4003 said, get an inexpensive starter boat. and bayline is one of them.

And BTW, Welcome to the group!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I pretty much agree with that guy above from ocean isle beach...

a 4.3 is a great middle of the road for a smaller family boat like you're looking for. I would also seriously consider buying something used. Sad to say that they're going to continue to get cheaper as folks feel the crunch of the economy.

right now you could probalby buy a 3-5 year old boat that's in near perfect condition for a fraction of what a new one would be - either getting a lot more boat for the money or doing better on the total budget. I'm sure you could do a great deal on a new one as well - lots of the same boats sitting in the same sales lots at least in the places I drive by on the way to the river...

Although I could be wrong, and I'm VERY sad to say it, i wouldn't be surprised if we see the end of Baja and some others, at least for the time being, in the coming months...

Hope this is helpful.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I vote for the 19 foot stingray for the following reasons:

Its a light boat and you will get most of the V8 benefits from the v6. You will get the weight of a 17 or 18 in a 19 foot boat, and that extra foot is real nice. When I was looking, it sure seemed to be a good 350-500 lbs lighter. This also gives a lower tow rating.

Its weight capacity allows for 8 adults, versus the 7 most of the other 19-18 foot boats are specified for. It's sure nice to be able to take out another family with you.

The cons of the stringray -- its got a go fast hull that does not like to hold plane at slow speeds. Thus, for a starter boat and water sports, you will need to look at a hydrofoil or trip tabs.

I would avoid the 3.0 unless I was buying new and was looking at the newer 150 HP fuel injected 4 banger. Also, I would pay more and try to find a fuel injected V6.

Lastly, I vote for buying a 2 year old used boat. You can get a great deal on one out there with hardly any hours on it, and the guy or gal who bought the boat with dreams of being a boater which have not materialize usually through in most of all you need to get on the water.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't rule out an outboard. Modern outboards have many advantages, but they will cost more initially than a similar horsepowe I/O. I believe in the long run they will save you money in reduced and easier maintenance.

MikDee

Banned

I don't know why they even make big outboards anymore, Most of these manufacturers nowadays don't even offer outboard versions of their boats. The trend is to try to sell you an I/O package for some reason? Maybe they have an agenda to sell a certain brand I/O? I noticed this at a boat show over 10yrs ago. Maybe that's why outboards are so high priced?

oldsquaw76

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replys fellas. Why wouldnt one be concerend about fuel economy? if a v8 in these boats will do a better job and consume the same amount of fuel as a v6 i think thats a option i need to look at..... i have a fishing boat with an outboard so ive been around the boating world for some time, but ive never owned a ski/pleasure boat. i did forget to mention that im thinking about used boats, cant beat the price, and the boat isnt gonna get "beat"!

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Put fourwinns on the list too.

The 4.3 is the minimum I would consider in a 18' boat. A Fuel injected model would be great if you kind find one.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This came for a higher up in bayliner, the reason they are not making outboards, is they are own by Brunswick, which also owns Mercury and Mercruiser, also many of the brand boats mentioned. so the are required to use their power. Mercury does not have a reasonably priced, high enough horse powered outboard, so they are having to go I/O, can you imagine, I/O power being cheaper than powering with outboard. but that was his explanation, when is asked the question why they did not offer them in the outboard.

MikDee

Banned

Alrighty then TD, Thanks I can dig it now ;)

Fromtoronto

Seaman Apprentice

Umm, what about the Tahoe , by Tracker Marine...

I have compared bayliner and a few others and cant find the same extras and nice qualities the Tahoe offers like the storage, captain chairs etc in the price we are looking.

Been considering the Q5 with 4.3 or the Q4 with the 3.0 but MPI version.. Q5 is heavy for trailering every weekend.... Thats the deciding factor... Oh and I am looking at the Sport Fish models on both.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

i love my blue water monte carlo with 5.0. would keep it but only holds 8 and often have 10-11 that want to ride so its for sale:(

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just some food for thought. My first boat was a 19ft cobalt w/ a 4.3 carbed. It did ok but if u were planning on hauling 6 ppl and tubing and skiing, it would do it but it gave it a work out. I was real hesitant of upgrading to a small block but after everyone swore that the fuel economy was pretty comparable I finally did it. I bought the 23ft Larson with 5.7 fuel injected and a bravo 3. It does amazing on fuel and has plenty of power. I can have 7ppl and a bunch of gear and still pull two tubes easily. The larson has a great warranty and great product. When i was shopping around the Sea Ray and Crownline dealers said they couldn't come close on price and definitely couldn't say that their product was worth the extra cost. It amazed me that they'd say that.

Just something else to consider
Doogie

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know why they even make big outboards anymore, Most of these manufacturers nowadays don't even offer outboard versions of their boats. The trend is to try to sell you an I/O package for some reason? Maybe they have an agenda to sell a certain brand I/O? I noticed this at a boat show over 10yrs ago. Maybe that's why outboards are so high priced?

Depends on what part of the market you are in. From where I sit, I could say "I don't understand why the make the smaller (300 HP and less) I/O's anymore" as outboards seem to be taking over the market. I/O's seem to be heavy in the sport boat/ ski boat world and outboards seem to be taking over the fising boat market. Most of the "big name" fishing boats are no longer available with I/O power, its outboards or nothing. I believe some of it has to do with price, most of the entry level boats come with I/O power as they are initially cheaper.

wgoodhoofd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Our 17.5' Four Winns may be at the smaller end of your radar, but it definitely satisfies your criteria. It's a 3.0L, but still has enough power to ski with some people in the boat, and won't empty your wallet at the gas station.

We looked at the comparable Bayliner but decided it was just a little too basic, and the bow seats weren't deep enough.