How to install rotary steering system

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am working on a center console conversion and am having difficulty figuring out how to mount the outboard end of the steering cable in two places.

One, how do I secure the cable to the stern of the boat so it pivots the outboard when the wheel is turned?

Two, how is the cable attached to the outboard motor itself?

I realize these questions may seem simple, but I started with a bare hull and rebuilt an outboard that was from another boat so I don't have much to go on here.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Danny

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to install rotary steering system

Kind of depends what system you have, but the most common, the outer shaeth of the cable attaches to the tilt tube on the outboard. The inner cable passes through the tilt tube and a separate link attaches to the motor. You said you are converting to center console. Was this a tiller steer? If so, then you need a new tilt tube. If you are converting a tiller steer to a console steer, you will need to change stuff in the engine for shift and throttle too. I did a tiller to console conversion a few years ago on my fathers boat, but I had my boat with a similar engine for comparison.

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for getting back to me.

What is a tilt tube? I don't believe I have one of those.

The boat was originally a bow rider, so it has always been console steer as well.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1st what motor do you have? a picture would help. this is tilt tube installation.

MVC-931S.jpg

MVC-930S.jpg