What's the best way to clean oxidized red gel coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer
I am cleaning up a boat I just purchased. What is the best way to clean up the gel coat?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What's the best way to clean oxidized red gel coat?

In a shady area, wash boat thoroughly,after drying, apply 3M Superduty compound,(best if you have a variable speed buffer w/ 6" buffing wheel),apply compound with buffer / remove w/ buffer...then use 3M Finesse-it Polish work small area at a time, after 1 pass with above method you should have a nice shiny gelcoat...if not repeat process....if it is all shiny...wax boat with Collinite Boat Wax 2 coats...Red is very difficult to maintain this will have to be done twice a year. Good Luck..and remember there is no EASY WAY to get it back to original without hard work.

bigbasser54

Cadet

A High Speed Buffer and Meguiar's Oxidation Removal Kit. The kit is a three step method to romove minor oxidation. If the oxidation is severe begin by hand with wet sanding the oxidation.

Depending on the severity of the oxidation would determine the grit of wet sanding paper to begin with. If it is mild oxidation begin with 1500 grit follow with 2000 grit and then begin with the 3-step Oxidation removal kit with the high speed buffer.

If severe oxidation try 1200 grit then 1500, then the 2000, and then the kit.

A couple of tips:

-A good sanding block will help save your arm if you have to wet sand.
-Use plenty of water and put a few drops of dish soap or car wash soap in the bucket of wet sanding water, this will help the sand paper slide on the gel coat easier.
-Be careful around the edges with the sandpaper or oxidation removal kit and keep the buffer moving at all times to avoid going through the gel coat or burning it.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Fortunately, the red is only on parts of the interior and the trim on the exterior. The rest is white and is not in that bad of shape. The oxidation is very bad. It's so bad it look almost brown. There is a patch that I shined up and the difference is incredible.

water wiggle

Cadet

For small areas that you can't get to with a buffer and only hand rubbing will do. I have used a stuff called Gel gloss for years with amazing results. Just did the burgandy stripe on my Blue water. Look for this product in the cleanser isle of your local home center. Pink can with purple letters. Just my .02 worth

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am cleaning up a boat I just purchased. What is the best way to clean up the gel coat?
Vaseline. Followed with a coat of good wax.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Vaseline. Followed with a coat of good wax.

OH,NO...Thats bad for a number of reasons...first the oxidation is "dead" pigment that has to be removed or nothing will adhere to the gelcoat,thats why waxing a dull finish will only look good for a very short time...you have to remove all oxidation, not cover it up...Second, wax wont properly adhere to the finish over a coat of lubricant..same as painting..wipe surface with acetone prior to paint.had a complete idiot detail my boat..he finished up by applying furnature polish to the vinyl sunpad...yea it looked good..smelled good but its the worst possible thing you can do to the material.

woosterken

Lieutenant

check out shareaproject.com Mark Mullen ('65 niagra mfg)
has a great article there with pictures of results

woosterken

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I think I'm going to try wet sanding first. If that becomes too difficult I'll get a buffer and some rubbing compound.

I just did this to my boat. I used Meguiar's from Check Auto Parts and it cut the bad stuff just fine with my 6" buffer with a wool pad. I am going to use this stuff to keep it up.

http://www.prestoprotech.com/

Maybe this will work better than the regular waxes the need to be redone every other month.

My boat is a burgundy or cranberry color.

zach103

Commander

the sanding takes FOREVER. im not even done yet. ill get some pictures soon. it looks good but it taks sooooo long.. im actually going to try the buffers next year

ronjon444

Seaman

New product called Poli Glow -here's the link and they have a video for you to watch also; poliglowproducts.com

RonJon

The colored area of my 21ft boat is about 18" tall and it took me about 3 hours to get it done. It was so bad that the side of the boat looked gray in color. Now you would have to look real close to notice any flaws. I think I may go over it again before I apply the sealer just to make it even better.

Buffers are not too bad price for a tool that can help you keep your investment (pride) in nice shape. I think it is worth bying a good buffer not just the cheapest one you find. If it has no power you will take longer to get it done. You don't need to go broke on a professional unit but just a good DIY setup.

Remember to use only the liquid type that is made for machine buffing. If you use a paste on a machine you will sand down the suface so bad you will be sorry. Go light because you can always do it again if you need more.

My wife said she would not be seen in this boat utill it shines like it should so I was motivated to get it looking good again.

hohmanr

Seaman Apprentice

There is no silver bullet when it comes to bringing back gel coat...Lot's of scrubbing and waxing is your best bet...

Above all don't get tempted by quick fix schemes like using Poly-Glow...The finish is marginal and virtually impossible to remove easily....I have hundreds of hours invested in using the "quick & easy" PG remover and have done just the lower port side of the boat...A true multi-year project for removing a really bad idea of putting floor wax on your boat...

pat davison

Recruit

I had an oxidized old' gel coated boat and found that wiping it with plain, red ATF(automatic transmission fluid) cleaned it beautifully! It doesn't really take away the oxidation,but makes it look like new for about 3 to 6 months! It goes on quick with a minimal amount of time and is cheap! Just repeat whenever needed. No fuss, no muss!

I used Meguires Heavy Oxidation Remover with a wool bonnet on my buffer. I went over it 2 times and it looks like new. Then up on 2 or 3 coats of quailty wax.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OH,NO...Thats bad for a number of reasons...first the oxidation is "dead" pigment that has to be removed or nothing will adhere to the gelcoat,thats why waxing a dull finish will only look good for a very short time...you have to remove all oxidation, not cover it up...Second, wax wont properly adhere to the finish over a coat of lubricant..same as painting..wipe surface with acetone prior to paint.had a complete idiot detail my boat..he finished up by applying furnature polish to the vinyl sunpad...yea it looked good..smelled good but its the worst possible thing you can do to the material.
Well then I must be seeing things. My boat, which is 50% red had a fair ammount of oxidation. I rubbed down the whole hull with vaseline, then hand rubbed it removing the vaseline with a good terry cloth towel which removed probably 95% of the chalk.
I then followed it up with a good carnuaba wax. The results were excellent. As far as wax not adhering properly, that may be the case if you don't remove all the vaseline. I didn't have a problem with the wax not adhering. One of these days, I'll post some pics to prove it.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please do, i would love to see this!! it just seems so....bizarre....:eek:

fortunare

Recruit
I agree with the fellow who used ATF(automatic transmission fluid). I've used it on two boats after trying dozens or products requiring lots of elbow grease or a messy buffer. On one boat it worked great on the black gelcoat trim and on the rubber rub rails. Another boat with an Orange hull that sat in the Arizona sun for several years turned out even better. Even if it only last 3-4 months, it takes 1/20th the time and looks shinier than anything else I've tried. When you're applying it lots of the oxidized color comes off on the rag with no extra effort. Guess I may bottle it, give it a sexy name and charge big bucks!!!

Thalasso

Commander
This thread is 6 years old. Pretty sure he has it figured out by now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.