Trojan F32 Flybridge removal

trepka

Recruit
ANYONE have any experience with removing a flybridge for transport? I need to do this in the next couple weeks and need ANY tips/pearls advice ANY info whatsoever that will help me.

I know I will need to label all wiring after I cut it and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I can get electrical connectors to make harnesses.

Again, any tip etc. would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

trepka

Recruit
Re: Trojan F32 Flybridge removal

does anyone have any tips on removing a flybridge?

erikgreen

Captain

Well, it's not something done often. I take it it's too tall for shipment by freight? No chance of getting a different trailer, lowboy style?

It's going to be like removing any major boat component. Label all wires, package all fasteners in labeled bags, take pictures while you work unless you have a blueprint to put it back together.

The trojan I'm familiar with has the flybridge fiberglassed into place, so the only way to remove it would be to cut the glass... not a good way to go.

Can you give us some more information on how it's being shipped?

Erik

PS: I wouldn't recommend wiring it back together with connectors.. too much chance of them working loose later, and being somewhere hard to get to. When you reconnect them, solder and shrink wrap.

trepka

Recruit

thanks eric, yes it's being shipped by tractor trailer (lowboy) wide load. the flybridge is not glassed on, only many screws.

the thing i like about harnessing the wires is it would be very convenient and no real difference than an automobile.......right??

trepka2001

Cadet

Started my removal yesterday and had a question for all you trojan veterans. How many screws hold the outer "cowl" in place? I removed around 10 and coudn't investigate further because it was getting dark and had to drive 400+ miles back home before I could finish.

Was thinking of hiring the marina to finish the job, after paying for gas, hotel etc. it would probably be worth to have them do it.

The most important part, wiring and removal of the flybridge station I was able to complete.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

In highly suggest you get the marina to do this. You will need to rent their hoist to remove it anyway. Of course you could leave it on and the first bridge would complete the job in record time.:D

trepka2001

Cadet

chief, at this point i'm going to let them finish the removal and also have them use their crane to lower the helm and cowl to the fore and aft decks. it just seems that there would be more than 8-10 (visible) screws holding it in place?

i've also decided to use weathertight fasteners to make harnesses for the reattachment of the wires.