Help - Need fuel cap for '83 Mako Mdl 224

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lost my fuel cap overboard (yes I know I should have repaired the tether BEFORE it went under...)<br /><br />Have been to about a dozen marine stores this past week, but no one locally has one that will thread into the deck plate... What they do have are either too large, or too small...<br /><br />The internal dimensions of the threads (when measured with an "inside" caliper) is just a shade over 1.5"...<br /><br />The Perko 1 1/2 inch caps are too large to thread into the opening, and the 1 1/4 inch caps "fall" into the threaded hole in the deck plate...<br /><br />Any suggestions on where I might find one of these beasts without buying the whole deck plate assembly?<br /><br />Thanx in advance for any help...

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help - Need fuel cap for '83 Mako Mdl 224

Salty...<br /><br />Thanx a bunch for the link... From thier link photo's, I can't imagine they don't have what I need... I'll give them a call tomorrow morning...<br /><br />Thanx Again, Obiwan

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^ Still looking for the fuel cap... Anyone else with some ideas before I resort to dragging the lathe out and making my own? Can't stand the thought of having to buy the whole deck plate, just to replace the cap...<br /><br />Thanx in advance... Obiwan

Saltymut

Seaman

Hey Obi,<br />The link I sent you above came from http://www.classicmako.com/ <br />You might want to browse their site to see if you can find anything. Definitely be sure to check their LINKS page. It shows a couple of MAKO message forums. Ask the pros. Hope this helps.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Salty...<br />Thanx for the help... In desperation, this afternoon, I started measuring the deck-plate thread size more closely in preparation for getting the lathe ready, when it dawned on me, that I had seen that thread size somewhere before... Just could NOT remember where...<br /><br />So, I opened my old Machine-Tool manual, and there it was staring me in the face... 1 1/4" pipe thread!<br /><br />SO... I am now the proud owner of a chunk of brass I bought at the plumbing shop ($1.79 + tax) as opposed to the $70 (plus) I had been quoted for the whole deck-plate and cap assy, because "that size deck-plate fuel cap is no longer available ... you'll have to buy the whole she-bang..."<br /><br />WAY COOL !!!<br /><br />Thanx again for your thoughts and ideas...<br /><br />Obiwan