What is the best way to jack up a boat and replace the bunk boards?

Karl Seibel

Seaman
I have a 21' Classic V-Hull Cuddy style with an 188 hp mercruiser inboard /outboard. The bunk board is gone and don't want to take a chance of moving it from where it is. What is the best way to jack it up off the trailer and install a new board? Take note the boat is on a dirt area. I could move it to an area with stones if need be. Thanks Seibel

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is the best way to jack up a boat and replace the bunk boards?

Your going to need to be on someing hard like a driveway so your jack will be steady and not sink down.<br /><br />A bigger boat like you have with I/O I prefer to let the boat tip to one side.<br /><br />Use your jack(s) under the bunk on the good side. <br />Loosen the U bolts (1 set at a time)<br /><br />With your jack under under the bunk bracket don't take it off just loosen it enough to allow you to lower it down as far as it will go with the jack<br /><br />Starting aft working fwd loosen them all and lower them.<br /><br />Your should get the boat lay over enough to get to the bad bunk and do you replacement.<br /><br />After replacement reverse the procedure and raise the lowered side up to where it was. Best mark the height on all of them before you start.<br /> <br />I just raised mine up 3" today this way.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

option #2, put blocking under boat. enough to support its whole weight. get it good and tight. let all the air out of the tires.#3, lower tongue, block up stern. using handi-man type jack raise tongue...

Option # 3 - Lower the tongue jack, block up under the transom, raise the tongue jack, block up under the bow. Partially lower the tongue jack. The boat should be off the trailer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I do it GDaddy's way, except that I don't block up the bow, I just raise the tongue until the boat is off the bunks. That works on my trailer, might not work on yours.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you can move it try moving it to a ramp and drop the boat in the water. The other ways would work but they are work. I'm lazy.

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just replaced my bunks 2 weeks ago and i did what solittle said. I asked my fishing partner if he could "rough" having to go fishing all day in my boat while i worked on the trailer. He said it would be tough, but he would manage. What i neglected to tell him until we were on our way was that i was dropping him off in a no-wake lake so he couldn't do much damage even if he wanted too :)

ndemge

Commander

I had to adjust my bunks last week...<br />I lifted by the stern hooks with a cherry picker (engine lift around here) <br />lifted till one side was off the bunk, did my adjustment and lowered back down and went to the other side.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I simply put a 4 ft long piece of 4" square fence post material on my 3-ton automotive floor jack, then slid it next to where the bunk was, and jacked the boat up off the bunk about 4-6", so I could remove and replace the old ones. Takes all of 5 minutes to jack it up, AND remove the old board.<br /><br />For the soft ground areas, throw an old piece of CDX plywood (or similar CHEAP throw-away scrap wood... Even old pallets work "ok") under the jack to keep it from sinking into the ground.<br /><br />Hint... If you've already pre-measured and carpeted the replacement, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get it set in place and tied back down, then drop the boat...<br /><br />Since I had pre-measured and fabbed up the new boards, it took me approx. one hour to do all 8 bunks on my trailer which holds a 24 ft CC Mako.<br /><br />Good Luck, Obiwan

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Why can't you just pre-make the new bunks, then take your cordless drill and a socket set to the launch. With the boat in the water, replace the bunks. Should go pretty quickly, assuming no problems removing the old ones! That's what I plan to do to my old Trailmaster here in the next few weeks.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, I just re-read your post saying that you don't dare move it from where it's at. Mine aren't quite that bad YET. Good luck!

Karl Seibel

Seaman

Hey guys thank for all the idea's ...as soon as the rain stops around here in PA, and hopefully the boat won't be sitting on the ground, with the trailer, cause I am also replacing the hubs and don't have them on yet, but she's a sinking....but I will have the bunk board ready to go before I am ready to replace.. and I will move it slowly to a garage right next to where it is sitting... so I will take all the precautions above and tackle the job and let u know if it comes out ok...I'm sure it will with all the info...thanks Seibel

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Must be the language barrier...<br />But what are "Bunks" ??? :confused:

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

5000lb boom on back of my service truck at work. lifted my buds boat off his trailer. 18' welded aluminum inboard jet, 350 chev, 80 gal. gas. about maxed out crane.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

andrewjapf... from down under...<br /><br />Trailer "bunks" are those pieces of carpeted lumber, which run fore and aft on the trailer, and provide a support system (or bed) for the boat to ride on, during trailering. Here in the US of A, they are referred to as "trailer bunks".<br /><br />As opposed to the stacked bedding that the old west cowboys, and many young boys used to sleep on, in the "bunk-house"...<br /><br />Obiwan...