Watched neighbors boat sink at dock last night

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class
The guy who has his boat 4 across from mine in the community slips had a 27 foot (I may be off by a foot) late model Formula very large bowrider. Beautiful boat and he NEVER used it, i use to walk by in disgust to see it just sit there uncovered and filthy. Well last night that caught up to him as the battery went dead from no use and he never checked on the boat and the bilge pump had nothing to power it. Guess what, it flipped and sunk. Sad to see but purely owners neglect. He could not understand why it happened as sea tow was pulling it out with the police. We had a really bad storm the night before, the mooring lines broke from the stress and the boat literally was laying upside down int he lake sunk

If you keep your boat wet slipped like i do make sure you check on it and ensure you are giving the bilge pump(s) the battery power they need.

Wonder what the salvage value is?????????

240sx4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Watched neighbors boat sink at dock last night

Wow, unfortunate. I could care less about some guy who doesn't take care of his boat... the tank full of fuel that is under there concerns me.

Bummer.

Evan

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

must have enough $$$$ to flush down the toilet...that much neglect!! probably deserves it!

i feel bad for the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

like a lot of people today, they get the toy, get tired of it, get another toy, forget the first one. the insurance will pay off, and he still will not have learned anything, some just don't have the common sence to maintain things, and wonder why they break. he probably does not change the oil in his car either.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aren't most boats today made with self bailing decks ? Maybe it got hung up on/or under the dock ?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

There is probably 250 to 300 boats at the marina I dock at. I would easily say that only 25% of them get used every weekend. 50% twice a month and 25% get used once for the whole season. One of those never used boats also sunk last weekend putting a nasty oil slick throughout the marina. Its sad, but some people just don't have a clue how hard it is on boats that are slipped if NOT USED!

I use mine every weekend and keep things scrubbed down, battery charged, bilge pump checked & rechecked. I don't want that happen to me, I enjoy my boat to much. After all "Life is so much better on a boat!" :D

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ouch! I know many of you don't really feel any sympathy for the guy because he didn't maintain or check on his boat, but I do feel somewhat bad for him. Most people who take on boating or other hobbies usually dont do the research needed, so he most likely went in ignorant. He probably figured that a boat was like a car. I know guys who think that since boats are meant to float, they wouldn't have to check on them unless a hurricane was coming. Personally? I used to check on my boat(s) about twice a week even if I didn't take it out. My previous boat had a decent cabin on it, so at least one weeknight out of every week I'd grab some food at a deli or something and go have dinner on the boat. I'd sit and relax, listening to the music as I watched other boats come and go. It was very peaceful..... but I digress.....

Back to the topic at hand... he may have been too busy with work and whatnot to ever use the boat and maybe this was his tipping point at which he says "Ya know... boating just isn't for me!"

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Robert showed me that boat one day...It was a very expensive boat that was totally neglected.
What a shame for the boat!
The fuel and oil in the water is what i would be concerned about.

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

Well here its a 2 month season.And even with that I only get about 10 days on the water each year.life has too much other stuff at times.i'll spend more time on construction sites in las vegas and northern canada this year than i will on my boat,
i don't agree with not taking care of a boat,but i can understand not having the time to use it

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seriously any idea about how these are treated by the ins company. I have to think you can throw a new engine in it and rewire the electronics and it would be good to go no???

I am clueless ont his but has anyone ever scooped up a deal on a salvage boat. I have a close friend whose wifes brother is a marine mechanic, this is exaclty the boat i would want if i could have any boat for this lake who know if there is lemon to be made here out of lemonade

D

DJ

Sad.

It would be a great slavage project. The hull is not "damaged", that's a big plus.

The engine is probably ruined.

The outdrive would be OK, water doesn't hurt those, except for maybe the u-joints and gimbal.

The wiring and upholstery/carpet would be shot.

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sad.

It would be a great slavage project. The hull is not "damaged", that's a big plus.

The engine is probably ruined.

The outdrive would be OK, water doesn't hurt those, except for maybe the u-joints and gimbal bearing.

The wiring and upholstery/carpet would be shot.

No carpet and it was only underwater for a few hours i am thinking the upholstery may be ok with some drying

Seriously does this ever happen where you can grab a deal on salvage???

D

DJ

One would have to think that it was insured.

If so, it is now in the hands of the insurance company for disposition. Unfortuneately, typically, insurance companies move slow thus making the situation worse. The engine locks up and the upholstery rots. It may be months, if totaled, before the insurance company sends it to an auction. By then, all you have that is salvageable is the drive and the hull.

I bought my first Boston Whaler from an insurance company. As expected, the engine was shot as was all the upholstery and wood. Fortuneately, for me, the hull was not holed so it was fine.

If you're interested, you MAY be able to contact the owner and insurance company and explain to them that you want first dibs on the "salvage" value.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is probably 250 to 300 boats at the marina I dock at. I would easily say that only 25% of them get used every weekend. 50% twice a month and 25% get used once for the whole season. One of those never used boats also sunk last weekend putting a nasty oil slick throughout the marina. Its sad, but some people just don't have a clue how hard it is on boats that are slipped if NOT USED!

I use mine every weekend and keep things scrubbed down, battery charged, bilge pump checked & rechecked. I don't want that happen to me, I enjoy my boat to much. After all "Life is so much better on a boat!" :D

... thats a lot of boats with neglect. aren't there services or companies that check on boats and do some of those maintenance items for the folks who just cant or know how? we've seen some very nice dry docked boats that are left to deteriorate and shake our heads how folks can let them go.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just goes to show that somepeople have more money than they know what to do with.

Wet_Dream

Cadet

There was a boat half sunk at our marina last week. It was upside down, just hanging on by the dock lines. Not sure why it happened - but it was gone (or totally sunk) yesterday. It was a newer boat, probably 20-22' cuddy. It looked like it was covered.

I also try to get out every week to check the boat. If not it never goes past two weeks. I also always check the bilge pump to make sure it works. I have an auto pump that kicks on for 1 second every two minutes. So, the bilge area never has much water when I get there.

Thunder_SS

Cadet

I have an auto pump that kicks on for 1 second every two minutes. So, the bilge area never has much water when I get there.

How do you ever get enough pressure in the line to pump any water out if you ony run it for 1 second?

In testing my auto float on my pump, it takes about 2-3 seconds at the least to even get water out the spout on the hull. I would think that 1 second is only enough time to suck water through the pump, let alone up the discharge hose!!

45Auto

Commander

The auto pumps that kick on a few seconds every so often like Wet Dream posted above have a current sensor built into them. If it senses a load (current draw due to actually pumping water as opposed to just free spinning) it keeps running till the load goes away and it's free spinning (no water) again.

Thunder_SS

Cadet

The auto pumps that kick on a few seconds every so often like Wet Dream posted above have a current sensor built into them. If it senses a load (current draw due to actually pumping water as opposed to just free spinning) it keeps running till the load goes away and it's free spinning (no water) again.

Ahhhh.....that explains it then. I was thinking it was just a timer that kick on and off every 2 minutes.

Mine is an actual float that rises of course when there is water and shuts the pump off when the water level goes down.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It appears to me that you are all a little judgemental. None of you have any idea what that owner has going on in his (or her) life. Could have cancer, or have had a heart attack or whatever. On the other hand, Robert, you WATCHED someones boat sink without doing a thing to stop it. If you just watched it actually sink without doing a thing, in my opinion, that ranks right up there with watching someones house burn.

Just my opinion,
TerryMSU