Monster Tower with Taylor Made Bimini? Alternatives

1ocean

Recruit
Hello- I have a 2003 bayliner with a monster tower on it. We just got into boating this summer and have become wakeboard junkies. The sun is killing the dog right now and we want to get a bimini top. Monster Tower's top is $500+ and we would like to find a cheaper alternative, but something that keeps the boat clean looking. I've been reading about the Taylor Made universal tower bimini tops, but I'm not positive they will work. I've contacted a dealer who referred me to Taylor Made and they were not much help either. Has anyone purchased the same combo or found a good (low cost) bimini that will work with the Monster Tower?

Thanks,

J

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Monster Tower with Taylor Made Bimini? Alternatives

bimini's are not cheap. then for a custom use they get more expensive. if you want it to fit, either have one custom made, or buy the monter tower top. taylor made makes tops designed to fit many boats, semi custom. that is the key, semi.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I finish restoring my boat, I plan to install a tower, and I hope to be able to use a top too. I am not a very big fan of the bimini tops... They are usually flimsy if they are cheap, and the solid ones are overpriced. What I have been thinking of doing is fabing up some sort of roll bar type deal towards the back of the boat that is made out of the same type tubing material that the tower is made of. I hope to make it removable with a couple pins or something and have removable supports that connect it to the tower. I will then get a canvas top like the ones on the center console T-tops and stretch it between the tower and the rear bar. I think something like this would be sturdier and look a lot better than a bimini...

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I don't know about the particular item your looking at.......................but I've always found Taylor Made products to be high quality and well engineered regarding fit and finish.................FWIW

salty87

Commander

no knock on taylor but i'd go with something designed for use with your tower. it will look better, work as designed (the taylor might, kind of a gamble), and probably last longer than a bimini that doesn't fit perfectly.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure that they have one to fit your app, but we just bought a bimini from Carver Industries (http://www.carvercovers.com/). I was very impressed with the quality and "sturdiness" of the frame and fittings. They also offer Sunbrella fabrics which is one of the best fabrics on the market for tops and covers.

-RW

1ocean

Recruit

I appreciate the info. I looked at the carver tops and the are pretty nice. I will have to do some research on them. I've also thought about my own design (tysonnathon). I just keep coming across a mental block with the angle/drag issue. I would love to see a pic of you work when you get it finished. I think we are going to give it a few more weeks before we make any purchases, so maybe I can check out some other boats on the water. Has anyone come up with a simple solution for shade other than a towel or t-shirt on the top of the bar? I keep loosing my wardrobe to the fish.

Got to do it- saw the Florida Gators
War Eagle!

canoeist

Cadet

I put a monster tower on and ordered a bimini from GMI tops in Canada. Email me for more information (how to measure, order, etc). I will also send you some pictures of the top if you like.
Bill McLean
bill@mcleanweb.org

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I appreciate the info. I looked at the carver tops and the are pretty nice. I will have to do some research on them. I've also thought about my own design (tysonnathon). I just keep coming across a mental block with the angle/drag issue. I would love to see a pic of you work when you get it finished. I think we are going to give it a few more weeks before we make any purchases, so maybe I can check out some other boats on the water. Has anyone come up with a simple solution for shade other than a towel or t-shirt on the top of the bar? I keep loosing my wardrobe to the fish.

Got to do it- saw the Florida Gators
War Eagle!

Whats this you say about a turkey buzzard???haha

Unfortunately, I wont get to that part of my project for a long time, so I wont be able to provide you with any inspiration on a design... Im just about to dive into a stringer/deck/transom/pain/etc rebuild... so the tower/top is a long ways away..

a little off subject.. but check this out:
http://www.sportprojections.com/group/ncaa_college_football_top_25